Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1234616 ... LastLast

Thread: Completion Thread 2018: Lock & Load Then Rock & Roll

1. 1. Breath of the Wild (Wii U)
    Loved the hell out of this game from start to finish! Never found the third fairy spring to continue upgrading armor, only found 80 or so Koroks and about as many shrines but I think I can go back for all that. Really enjoyed how the lionels were reimagined for this game, they gave me so much trouble until I figured out how to deal with them properly. I clocked about 60 hours or so but I'll be going back to complete side quests and hunt down things I missed. Good freakin' stuff!

2. 2. Horizon: Zero Dawn

Played on Very Hard. This is pretty solid and reminds me of Witcher 3 in a lot of ways. Huge, visually lush fantasy world, lots to do, a pretty engaging plot, tons of rolling, light character customization, etc. The combat is a step up, though: the game asks you to hit an awful lot of tight and often fast-moving targets, and the more complex machines get really cool in how you can break them down and use their weapons against them. It doesn't always hold up (I definitely saw my share of odd and exploitable behavior), but overall it does a good job considering the scope of the game. The human fights are numerous and a clear step down, and the entire inventory and item management layer feels like overkill. You have tight potion carry limitations, for example, and you can do busywork to expand these, but this doesn't really matter because you can pause and prepare potions mid-combat using the junkyard's worth of crafting ingredients Aloy carries on her at all times. Same with ammo. And man does this game need ledge-grabbing.

3. 1. Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
    the best thing they did since Mario 64, don't @ me

2. Soul Blazer (SNES)
    better than Illusion of Gaia (loved the ActRaiser feel of revitalizing towns), but Terranigma still shines as the best of the series
    http://backloggery.com/irishninja/sig.gif

4. 3. Star Fox 2

A hell of a tech demo with a really cool strategy-action concept, but unfortunately the All Range Mode space battles just aren't fun (they weren't good in SF64, let alone in the choppy SuperFX version we see here). The space cruiser and planetary bits are neat at first, especially the novel feeling of playing a third-person shooter on the SNES, but unfortunately strafing is just too OP for every scenario they could come up with. Every one of these scenes is over in an instant and is utterly trivial. None of the battles in here are as good as the original Star Fox stages. Played on Hard.

5. #2 Syberia (Switch)
    I haven't finished an adventure game in a long time, so I wasn't sure what to expect from this old gem. I like the story a lot, puzzles are fairly straightforward but the control is a little clunky. I don't know if I should play the 2nd one immediately, but I will definitely play through this series.

Elex (PS4)
    This is one of the biggest differences of opinion I have had from reviewers. It sits at 58 on metacritic but it ended up being one of my favourite games this gen. I didn't play it pre-patch, though.

It's a game that really rewards exploration. There's no level scaling so every bit of experience you gain feels like it matters. The economy is balanced amazingly well so you won't spend most of the game with an overdose of cash. The world design does a great job at seeming like a real place and not a collection of Ubi towers. The combat's a bit clunky and the character designs are generic but overall this is a deep, addictive game for hardcore RPG fans. I liked it even more than The Witcher III and the 3d Fallouts. I need to give Piranha Bytes' previous games another try.

7. High praise for Elex, now I need to look into it.

8. Dark Souls 3 - All DLC.
    Boo, Hiss.

9. 2)

Not bad. Took me years to finally 100% it. Thinking about buying the DLC.

10. Your OneDrive is full.