Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 10202223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Completion Thread 2018: Lock & Load Then Rock & Roll

1. 9. Gorogoa (PC)

Very interesting and different little puzzle experience. I really liked moving the panels around and zooming in and out to find the right combination of frames to advance the story and world. The sound was ambient and appropriate, the art was excellent and the puzzles definitely got tougher as they went. I wish it was longer, it took me about an hour and a half to beat, and I was enthralled pretty much the whole time. Really lovely game, definitely worth checking out.

2. 16. Thunder Kid

This is a bit out my wheelhouse. I was drawn to it mostly because I could relate a lot to the visual style (lol) and the concept of a forward-scrolling Contra-style game is something I'm surprised I haven't seen more of:

The mix of platforming and pattern-dodging is a lot of fun, and the multi-route camera and occasional harder-to-reach collectables are neat. The bosses are cool conceptually, going heavier on the attack patterns.

While it's decently polished in a lot of the stage segments, there are a lot of rough edges outside of that. Bosses have easy-to-identify safe zones and too much health for their patterns, the checkpoints are very close, and man are the menus, dialog, and all-around UI rough. Still a surprisingly solid way to kill an hour, but maybe only if the concept immediately grabs you and you have a thing for the low-poly visuals.
    Last edited by Tain; 29 Oct 2018 at 11:29 PM.

3. #? Riddle of the Sphinx (2600): I used to play this a lot when I was a kid, but I never knew what the objective was since I didn't have a manual. I just wandered around and shooting rocks at everything. Despite this, I enjoyed it a lot. I bought a CIB copy last week, read through the manual and completed Game 1 (easiest difficulty) on my first try.

4. 17. Death Mark

This was a pretty cool VN. The theme is a great vehicle for some good gross ghost stories and the puzzles and exploration helped the game stand out a bit to me. There are a few localization hiccups that spring up in the puzzles, but it's really easy to brute force through them in this game. The only beef I had is that once every hour or two you'll see a scene where the artists were way too horned up while drawing dead/dying bodies. It's extremely at odds with the rest of the game's tone.

I played all the way through the story of Wing Commander Privateer, which I have done before, and the expansion Righteous Fire, which I have not. Such a great game, but I'm now sick of it.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Tain View Post
    17. Death Mark

This was a pretty cool VN. The theme is a great vehicle for some good gross ghost stories and the puzzles and exploration helped the game stand out a bit to me. There are a few localization hiccups that spring up in the puzzles, but it's really easy to brute force through them in this game. The only beef I had is that once every hour or two you'll see a scene where the artists were way too horned up while drawing dead/dying bodies. It's extremely at odds with the rest of the game's tone.
    How long is this? I get bored by most VNs about a couple of hours in.

7. The PS4 and Switch versions come with a DLC chapter and are more expensive than the Vita version to reflect it. Game was around 15 hours for us including that chapter.

8. 18. La-Mulana 2

Fantastic. Very much in line with the original, but with very slightly less ridiculous puzzles and very slightly more in-game hinting. I still had to rely on out-of-game hints occasionally, but far less than in the original and in all those cases there was a somewhat reasonable in-game thing that I missed. I think I liked this a bit more than the original on the action front, and the environment themes are a bit more interesting here. Took me about 70 hours in the end, and in their original Kickstarter pitch Nigoro suggested this would be a 20-30 hour game for newcomers to the series lol

9. 30) The Punisher (arcade) 7,416,800 1CC

A licensed game done right & another great Capcom beat-em-up. It never got the console port it deserved- the Genesis version is a sacrilege.

Nice! That game is so good.