Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 12345717 ... LastLast

Thread: Completion Thread 2018: Lock & Load Then Rock & Roll

1. ...

2. Abzu - this was not Journey.
    Boo, Hiss.

3. 03) The King of Fighters XIV (PS4)

No continues. 2,697,280 pts. on full default settings. Played as Benimaru/Robert/Joe, same order on each stage. Joe stayed on the bench for the entire game.

04) Narc (AC)

1CC with score of 3,398,250. Full default settings (difficulty 3/10, extra life & rocket bomb every 100,000).
    Last edited by gameoverDude; 25 Jan 2018 at 10:44 PM.

4. Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Beat in just over 70 hours. After not playing a J-RPG all the way through in years, I've come back to the genre with Persona 5 and Xenoblade in a single year, and I think these two games really represent the polar opposites of the genre.

Persona 5 has a small world packed with great characters and interactions, and elaborate, wonderfully designed dungeons, a swift streamlined turn-based combat system, and an eye-popping visual style.

Xenoblade, on the other had has a big, fantastic world to explore that is probably its best asset, as well as an incredibly complex (occasionally arcade) combat system for long, drawn-out battles. The focus is on exploration and combat, and there's really no puzzles, or much going on in terms of level-design. The side-quests are flat and boring, and the visual style is an incoherent mess of 90 different art styles to the point where it feels like some kind of Project X Zone crossover thing.

While I enjoyed Persona 5 more, I did like Xenoblade, mostly on the merits of its world and some of its characters. It was kind of like Skies of Arcadia in that way.

5. #3 Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes

Pretty short and sweet intro to 5. I was into sneaking around for the first 45 minutes, then I found the sniper rifle and sneaking went out the window.

6. 4. Celeste

Celeste fits into the same subgenre as Super Meat Boy. It's a ton of really tough micro platforming challenges, so it doesn't really start building tension until the challenges get a little longer late in the game. I'm still not a fan of that, just like I wasn't with Super Meat Boy, but unlike in that game everything else in Celeste helps elevate it into something really, really good. You get a bit more complexity in the core mechanics thanks to wall-climbing with stamina and a single 8-way air dash per jump. The camera is a little bit more zoomed in compared to Meat Boy, with less sloppy acceleration time and slightly more claustrophobic stage design to match. The visuals are the usual unrealistically low-res pixel art (with some modern lighting effects thrown in), but the animation is nice, the environments are well-composed, and there's a lot of visual variety. Every new area introduces and thoroughly explores new mechanics, and you'll see notably more dynamic elements to the stages than those in Super Meat Boy. Tying the brutal stages together is a surprisingly well-written narrative that fits the rest of the experience perfectly and in a novel way.

Looking forward to the post-game stuff.
    Last edited by Tain; 29 Jan 2018 at 01:05 AM.

A couple short action-adventures, Rime and Inside. Both were amazing visually. Inside had some decent puzzles while Rime was quite easy but worth playing if you want a more relaxed Ico-ish experience. The end section in Inside where to become that blob thing was unexpected and wild.

8. 05) Trails of Cold Steel (PC)
    AP: 376/440 Clear time: 115:51:11 Hard difficulty

Like this even better than the Sky series. Some good things are the fast traveling in towns, the Link system (characters can follow up link attacks with finishing blows, give cover, heal their Link partners, etc), & the new gridless movement system in battles. Cold Steel's soundtrack is amazing, as expected from JDK. "Tie A Link Of ARCUS!" is one of the best battle themes, and I was glad to see it used several times. There was quite a lot of talking with other Class VII members & NPCs, but it didn't drag the game down IMO. The town designs are great.
    Overall the story is good, with quite the cliffhanger ending. Just wait until you find out who C really is. Later on, he won't even bother to disguise his voice anymore. Then Claire shoots off the mask and... OMG.
    I tried K&M control for a bit, but went back to using a gamepad. Cold Steel II is coming out on 2/14. Ready for it.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Tain View Post
    4. Celeste

Celeste fits into the same subgenre as Super Meat Boy. It's a ton of really tough micro platforming challenges, so it doesn't really start building tension until the challenges get a little longer late in the game. I'm still not a fan of that, just like I wasn't with Super Meat Boy, but unlike in that game everything else in Celeste helps elevate it into something really, really good. You get a bit more complexity in the core mechanics thanks to wall-climbing with stamina and a single 8-way air dash per jump. The camera is a little bit more zoomed in compared to Meat Boy, with less sloppy acceleration time and slightly more claustrophobic stage design to match. The visuals are the usual unrealistically low-res pixel art (with some modern lighting effects thrown in), but the animation is nice, the environments are well-composed, and there's a lot of visual variety. Every new area introduces and thoroughly explores new mechanics, and you'll see notably more dynamic elements to the stages than those in Super Meat Boy. Tying the brutal stages together is a surprisingly well-written narrative that fits the rest of the experience perfectly and in a novel way.

Looking forward to the post-game stuff.
    From the makers of Towerfall! I didn't know this was out yet; time to check it out.
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

Shantae: Half Genie Hero
    I wasn't sure I would like the change away from pixel art but the HD art and animation still look damn nice. There's some amazing music as well that reminds me of Saturn era Sega. Like the previous games, I definitely recommend it to Monster World fans. The difficulty isn't balanced as well as Pirate's Curse. You end up being way overpowered in the second half. I will check out hardcore mode next time I play it.