Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3567891121 ... LastLast

Thread: Completion Thread 2018: Lock & Load Then Rock & Roll

Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    Mzo soldiers through every stinker.
    I thought the same thing when I read that post.

2. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    I "finished" R-Type Dimensions by using infinite lives on both R-Type and R-Type 2. I turned off the new redone graphics, they look horrible compared to the original art. I have always loved R-Type but could never get past stage 4, and having infinite lives allow me to see the rest of the game. I hate to say it, but I will probably never play the original arcade R-Types ever again. The game is so cheap, at the later stages everything is faster than your ship, and every enemy takes multiple hits and coming at you at every direction. I don't know how people can actually finish this on 1cc, they must have god like reflex. The boss is so cheap with unavoidable things that sticks to you and kill you. I still love the look of the original arcade games though.
    I LOVE the original R-Type arcade release but I fully agree with you that it gets RIDICULOUSLY difficult. Stage 3 or 4 is probably the furthest I've ever made in it as well. I may have to give the infinite lives thing a go. Is this the more recent PS3 release or the original PS1 release?
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

3. It is the reskinned R-Type Dimensions on PS3. They do this weird thing where you can play it on original 2D graphics but will morphed into the new 3D (ugly) look.

4. You can do a weird perspective shift thing with the new graphics, which is cool for a minute or two.

R-Type is more about memorization than reflexes. I can get to about stage 5 of the original before it tears me apart.

6. It gets so ridiculous though at the later stages, you can't even see sh*t.

I played through Super R-Type last night. The last stage of that is also ridiculous, but I had the shotgun powerup and between that and all the shit on the screen I could basically call upon slowdown on command and it saved my ass. Thanks slow SNES processor!

8. No blast processing for sure.

9. 6. Toaru Majutsu no Virtual On

PS4 version. Turns out all it took to bring back Virtual On was some anime crossover. Here's a brand-new 1v1 and 2v2 VO game that plays at a much faster pace than Force and with less virtuaroid unlock nonsense. The control mechanics are weird: there are no twin sticks out there (yet), but I suspect the game is still mapping to two digital sticks under the hood. A few wrinkles that make pad play a bit easier now include a "Lock" button that allows you to immediately face the enemy without jumping, jump and jump-cancel are now the same button, and pressing Lock during a dash gives you a new movement mechanic called "transition" where you start moving in a curved trajectory and get crouch-like attacks. You can cancel into this state from air dashes and cancel out of it back into a dash, so you'll see a lot of this. All in all it's probably the most pad-friendly VO game. Oh, and there are now comeback-y Ultra attacks that are cool-looking, but I'm not sure how well they fit overall.

They also introduced this new points system to deal with the timer scamming the series is kinda known for (?), and it seems sound to me so far. There's still health and you can still just kill your opponent, but when time runs out the game now turns to a point system based on knockdowns. Some knockdowns are more rewarding than others (slamming someone with Temjin Turbo RW and seeing "WASTED" pop up is very satisfying) and you'll gradually lose points for playing too defensively.

The wrapping is pretty standard stuff these days? There's a big visual novel story mode, a mission mode with some goofy stuff in it (and seemingly this is where arcade mode is buried), a training mode, and the online stuff (which is surprisingly playable from the States). No splitscreen on PS4, sadly, but I'm sure the Vita version has local wireless play.

it's real-deal Virtual On, it's extremely back, and I'm really happy about it
    Last edited by Tain; 24 Feb 2018 at 12:20 AM.

10. Beat Celeste! Haven't touched the b-sides yet, 82/175 strawberries, 1738 deaths.

I'm impressed they made millennial narcissism into a power up.

Though the two games have a lot in common, I prefer Super Meat Boy. Beating the harder levels felt a lot more precise there where as this feels a lot more like brute forcing through levels in an inexact fashion at times. Certain screens I couldn't even say how I cleared them, something spammy just eventually worked.
    Last edited by YellerDog; 25 Feb 2018 at 01:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!