Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 11131415161719 ... LastLast

Thread: Completion Thread 2018: Lock & Load Then Rock & Roll

1. Finished Heavy Rain

I went through this as a warm up for Detroit. I played Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy when it was new, and I loved most of it, but the wacky third act left a bad taste in my mouth, and I heard some criticism of HR's ending and decided I didn't want to subject myself to that again.

Truth be told, I kind of wish I had played it back then, I think I would have really liked it. Playing it now, it's an awkward game with bad controls and some clumsy writing, but it still lives up to a lot of Fahrenheit's potential and while I found some of the storytelling cheap (particularly Some of the ridiculous red-herrings, and outright counterfactual events shown in Scott's story) it's still a game that was very unique at the time it was released.

2. 16) Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (PS4)
    Played on Hard, with 100% map completion & all treasures found. Had a reputation of 273 with all the Eternia quests done. Got the true ending.
    I liked being able to jump & use drop attacks in this one, while keeping the dodge move from Seven/Celceta. VIII's soundtrack is solid, as expected from JDK.
    Difficulty is modest in the first few chapters but picks up later, & the true ending's TLB is a satisfying challenge to take down. The translation has improved quite a bit since after the patch.
    One of the castaways late in the game is Griselda. If you get the true ending, you'll meet Earth Goddess Maia before going off to fight the TLB.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Finished Heavy Rain

I went through this as a warm up for Detroit. I played Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy when it was new, and I loved most of it, but the wacky third act left a bad taste in my mouth, and I heard some criticism of HR's ending and decided I didn't want to subject myself to that again.

Truth be told, I kind of wish I had played it back then, I think I would have really liked it. Playing it now, it's an awkward game with bad controls and some clumsy writing, but it still lives up to a lot of Fahrenheit's potential and while I found some of the storytelling cheap (particularly Some of the ridiculous red-herrings, and outright counterfactual events shown in Scott's story) it's still a game that was very unique at the time it was released.
    I enjoyed playing Heavy Rain, back when it was new. There are some very questionable moments in the game, but they aren't enough to detract me from the experience I did have.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Finished Heavy Rain

I enjoyed playing Heavy Rain, back when it was new. There are some very questionable moments in the game, but they aren't enough to detract me from the experience I did have.

Quote Originally Posted by gameoverDude View Post
    15) The Terminator (Sega CD)
    Default settings/1,119,000 pts.

One of the best Sega CD releases. It's good that Virgin Games didn't just port the cartridge version over & add redbook BGM. Instead, they rebooted it with better graphics, new stages, & more levels. Tommy Tallarico's soundtrack for it is great, especially the Tech Noir nightclub theme.
    OMG, the last couple of stages are tough. Hopefully you find a lot of 1-ups along the way, because you can't continue.
    Nice! I need to pop it in again and try, but I've been working on beating Final Fight CD on default settings lately.

6. I just finished up The Last Guardian. The game really captured the feeling of a boy and his dog's (Griffon?) companionship. It would sometime make me upset when Trico was being hurt by other Griffons and the armor and Trico would get upset when my character was in danger. It got frustrating at times trying to get Trico to go where you wanted him to go, but it was still a fairly enjoyable experience. I'd say pick it up, if you can find it for @$30. You'll easily get a dozen hours of entertainment out of this game, and who knows, you might want to play it again to get what you'd missed.

And to Melf Trico doesn't die.

7. 17) Desert Strike (Genesis)
    3,374,700 pts.

Just finished it right now. One of the Genesis' best games. Nice variety of missions throughout the 4 levels, such as saving downed pilots in the sea, major target strikes (power stations, missile silos, etc), & an embassy rescue. I loved trashing enemy buildings (which often gives you something nice, like fuel drums, ammo, or even an extra life).
    It's a shame Electronic Arts let this series end after the PS1 titles.

8. 18) Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition
    Played on Hard. 185,350 pts. at the last dropkit.
    Out of all the charged weapons, the shotgun is one of the best. The flail gun has one of the best regular attacks, with the way it ties up an enemy & allows you to kick him into a gang before detonating it- or just to set up a simple remote bomb trap. Trying to get all the different skill shots is part of the fun. At least on PS4 Pro, this holds a steady 60 FPS.

9. 10. CometStriker

A great 2D action game with a smart retry structure, devious bosses, and a really cool selection of modes and extras. The enemy combinations definitely push for you to make the most out of the dodge, and I liked that you can risk par times to survey each room before blasting in. Nice pixel art on the bosses and good music, too.

10. Quote Originally Posted by gameoverDude View Post
    18) Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition
    Played on Hard. 185,350 pts. at the last dropkit.
    Out of all the charged weapons, the shotgun is one of the best. The flail gun has one of the best regular attacks, with the way it ties up an enemy & allows you to kick him into a gang before detonating it- or just to set up a simple remote bomb trap. Trying to get all the different skill shots is part of the fun. At least on PS4 Pro, this holds a steady 60 FPS.
    Bulletstorm is a great game.