Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 810111213141626 ... LastLast

Thread: Completion Thread 2018: Lock & Load Then Rock & Roll

1. 09)Cyber-Lip (Neo-Geo)
    344,600 pts. Default settings

Got a 1CC, but screwed up on the last stage with the 8 doors. Didn't go to door 7 right away like I should've... had the time run out, & went straight to the last boss. EPIC FAIL.
    There are 4 different patterns to the doors. Which boss you fight in door 7 shows what pattern the game is using.

2. Wind Waker (Gamecube)

I've been doing that Nintendo Gallery side quest since I'm on the second quest. I missed 2 bosses so I'll have to get the pictures at Ganon's Tower. I'm doing a 3 heart run. I'm a little disappointed cuz I was trying to get through without getting any pieces of heart but I forgot that getting the Cabana deed resulted in the Killer Bee's giving you a piece of heart. I'm still aiming to get the Hero's Charm and Magic Armor. I have the Hurricane Spin, the biggest wallet, all the bomb bag upgrades, the extended magic meter, 2 of 4 bottles, etc. Still need to beat the Forsaken Fortress. I was hoping a three heart run would make this game harder but it's just about the same as OoT was on my 3 heart run.
    You act as though payback makes you a noble man, is that a fact?
    Well, you're a goddamn Philistine!

Got all the achievements in HAL's Part Time UFO. It was really good!

4. 10) Dangun Feveron (PS4)
    Fever Arrange 22,469,188. One new feature in FA is the Fever mode which makes the cyborgs worth double & turns cancelled bullets into cyborgs when you bomb. In stage 1, stay below the safety line for all the first half of the stage, & save 150 cyborgs along the way. The line disappears if you get Fever mode.

5. 8. Far Cry 5

Largely more of the same of the mold started in FC3. Some of the required missions break down a little in Hard mode, and the narrative has a ton of missed potential, but the regional boss thing is a good idea and it's great that you can largely avoid the story missions in favor of liberating outposts. One thing about this game is that it seems to have somehow amped up the enemy density around the world even more than in the last two, and when you combine that with all the huge and aggressive animals you get some truly ridiculous scenarios that dynamically play out as you travel from point to point. Snipe a driver that's trying to run you over, dodge the truck as he falls out, get grabbed by a bear that came out of nowhere, run for the hills as a helicopter appears over the crest. I love it. Getting regional map info from civilians instead of having those towers to climb is a really smart change, too, especially given that you have to save these civilians from animal and cultist attacks half of the time you see them.

also holy shit throwing the melee weapons is great

6. Batman: The Enemy Within

This one caught me by surprise. It doesn't change up the Telltale formula much, but it does actually offer more meaningfully different paths than I've seen in any of their games, and it's the best thing they've done since the first season of Walking Dead.

Like the first season, they've played fast and loose with the Batman canon, this time centering the game around your relationship with Joker, introducing him as a vulnerable mentally ill weirdo, before having gone "full bad." They've also flipped the Joker/Harley dynamic, with Harley as the frightening criminal psychopath, and Joker as one of her patients that she manipulates to do her will, further complicating whether or not he has the potential to be anything other than a villain. The game also really plays into the idea that Bruce Wayne as a "mask" rather than a true identity, and basically forces Bruce to be a manipulator.

It's a really interesting story for a "choose your own adventure" sort of game, and unlike most Telltale games, there are hugely different ways they can play out. I really enjoyed this one.

7. 1. Phantasy Star Generation:1 Fan translation

Welp, I finished it. Clear save shows a time of 20:13. Four of those hours were spent running in circles to grind my way up to be beefy enough to hold out against Black Dragon and what followed. Black Dragon was definitely the hardest, and the only boss in which all four characters didn't make it through the fight (Alis and Noah died 2nd to last round of course). I used maps, because screw wandering in circles without one. The encounter rate was out of control, but I guess it was done to pad out the length and get you somewhat ready for the boss battles. But again, the endless mobs presented more a problem than even the Black Dragon did. I went up 10 levels at the end, and the only damage difference was that an enemy that was hitting Noah for ~60 now hit for ~52. That's kind of ridiculous. Or I'm just used to Etrian where a few levels can turn you from glass to steel.

I think it's lame that your characters max out on weapons/magic so early in the game. One of Noah's earliest spells seemed to do the most damage to Dark Falz. That's stupid. Even though the Laconia Axe added (I think) 30 points to Odin's damage, he wasn't really hitting any harder than he did with the last weapon. Sure as shit seemed to whiff a lot more too.

I had planned on jumping into the PS2 PS2 (ha!) remake after this one, but now I don't know. It was only my great love of PS1 that got me through this one, and I never had that much love for number 2. Actually, I only really liked 1 and 4.

Anyway, I wouldn't really recommend this to anyone. I'd say the graphics are newer, but not necessarily better than the original. A lot of the boss portraits look like something you'd see on an envelope in EGM or Nintendo Power or something. Play the SMS Power translated original instead.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    1. Phantasy Star Generation:1 Fan translation

Welp, I finished it. Clear save shows a time of 20:13. Four of those hours were spent running in circles to grind my way up to be beefy enough to hold out against Black Dragon and what followed. Black Dragon was definitely the hardest, and the only boss in which all four characters didn't make it through the fight (Alis and Noah died 2nd to last round of course). I used maps, because screw wandering in circles without one. The encounter rate was out of control, but I guess it was done to pad out the length and get you somewhat ready for the boss battles. But again, the endless mobs presented more a problem than even the Black Dragon did. I went up 10 levels at the end, and the only damage difference was that an enemy that was hitting Noah for ~60 now hit for ~52. That's kind of ridiculous. Or I'm just used to Etrian where a few levels can turn you from glass to steel.

I think it's lame that your characters max out on weapons/magic so early in the game. One of Noah's earliest spells seemed to do the most damage to Dark Falz. That's stupid. Even though the Laconia Axe added (I think) 30 points to Odin's damage, he wasn't really hitting any harder than he did with the last weapon. Sure as shit seemed to whiff a lot more too.

I had planned on jumping into the PS2 PS2 (ha!) remake after this one, but now I don't know. It was only my great love of PS1 that got me through this one, and I never had that much love for number 2. Actually, I only really liked 1 and 4.

Anyway, I wouldn't really recommend this to anyone. I'd say the graphics are newer, but not necessarily better than the original. A lot of the boss portraits look like something you'd see on an envelope in EGM or Nintendo Power or something. Play the SMS Power translated original instead.
    This is really unfortunate and what happens when production and development get farmed out to a place that doesn't understand the charm of the original nor has the love for the source material to try and elevate it to something more special than before. I never really played it, but the art direction really turned me off.

9. I ended up playing a few hours of the second one. Night and day difference. It’s still clearly a budget title, but the graphics look nicer and the story stills look much nicer than the first one. Some gameplay tweeks were added, like timing based button presses to strengthen your attacks or mitigate some damage taken. It froze on me (probably something to do with the program I’m using to read it from a hard drive) after a half hour without saving so I started playing something else. But I think it’s cear that either a different team did this one, or more time/money was put into it.

10. Oh, whoa, I didn't know about the timed attacks thing. That's really cool.