Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dark Souls Remastered (Switch, PS4, X1, PC)

1. Quote Originally Posted by sleeve View Post
    Then WTF is the big deal? A port of this game already exists on XBox One. I got it with my preordered copy of Dark Souls III. Didn't PS4 get a port with their preorder copy as well?
    I don't think it's a big deal, I guess being portable on the switch is but otherwise based on what has been said this is a simple port with framerate caps removed (or at least upped)
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

2. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    I don't think it's a big deal, I guess being portable on the switch is but otherwise based on what has been said this is a simple port with framerate caps removed (or at least upped)
    I'll buy the Switch port then. Portable Souls is a novelty worthy of additional purchase.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

3. Cigs is correct.
    "Porting is also the term used when a video game designed to run on one platform, be it an arcade, video game console, or personal computer, is converted to run on a different platform."

Just moving code from PS4 to Xbone is not a port. Atari 2600 versions of arcade games are ports.

4. That's still not recreating, it's just altering the code a bit.

Meh, whatever. My point still stands, this isn't a big deal as it's nothing really new for the game, still will be cool to have it portable though.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

5. It is recreating. You can't take arcade code, tweak it a bit, and have an Atari run it.
    The game developer is essentially remaking the game using the other system's architecture to mimic the original game as best as can be done.
    When Minter put classic Tempest into Tempest 2000, he coded the game himself based on his memory of playing the original arcade. That's a port.

Because of middleware and the architectural similarity of modern consoles/pcs there are almost no ports anymore. Developers literally can take the existing code, make a tweak here or there, and have it run on anything. That's not porting, not in the true sense of the word anyway.

6. But yeah, I'm down with portable Dark Souls. Maybe that's what I need to finally be able to get into it.

7. Ok, so let's go with this is even less than a port, what term do we use for just moving the code over then, because everyone else just refers to it as a port.

8. Everyone calls vintage retro too.

9. I don't understand your distinction between a remake and a port, if the content is the same.

Like I said before, this game is going to use the Dark Souls 3 engine, so they will be recreating something. For instance, co-operation will support 6 players, and the framerate isn't locked to 30fps.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

10. Quote Originally Posted by Dunlap View Post
    I don't understand your distinction between a remake and a port, if the content is the same.

Like I said before, this game is going to use the Dark Souls 3 engine, so they will be recreating something. For instance, co-operation will support 6 players, and the framerate isn't locked to 30fps.
    Where did they say this is using the Dark Souls 3 engine?