Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Internet Connection Help

1. Internet Connection Help

In the beginning of the new year, I switched from Verizon DSL to Spectrum for my business internet. With DSL, not only was I paying almost twice as much for 1/6 of the speed, I also had a lot of drop outs. Randomly through the day, the internet would just stop working. 3-5 minutes later it would be fine. My credit card machine processes via the internet and having a customer stare at you for 3 minutes because you can't run their card feels like a million years. It only happened 0-3 times a day so it wasn't a huge deal but I finally had enough and made the switch.

Now I'm with Spectrum and just about every time I go to a new page I either get a There Is No Internet error or a Your Internet Connection has changed error. All I have to do is refresh the page and things load fine. But it's super annoying when you're filling out text boxes such as this one, hit submit, get the error, refresh, and you're greeted with an empty text box.
    I called Spectrum and they wanted to send someone out, however if it were deemed to be something on my end I'd get charged up the ass for it. So I'd like to be sure it's not on my end. Any ideas on what I can do to trouble shoot?

2. A lot of ISPs have dogshit DNS.
    Change your DNS to something other than theirs, like 8.8.8.8, and see if that helps.

3. yeah switch to opendns or google dns at the router level, it might help

also consider putting your pos machine on an isolated local network that can still access the internet, if it's anything like ours it'll freak out and crash your network if the wind blows funny (and it also helps with pci compliance)

4. Alright, I changed it to 8.8.8.8 and the secondary to 8.8.4.4.
    Let's see what happens!

5. Also, don't forget: If you want to not have those errors you can pay the company more now because Net Neutrality is gone.

6. Quote Originally Posted by cka View Post

also consider putting your pos machine on an isolated local network that can still access the internet, if it's anything like ours it'll freak out and crash your network if the wind blows funny (and it also helps with pci compliance)
    I'll buy ya a coffee if ya tell me how? I remember having to do something when I first set up the machine, but that was 3 1/2 years ago and on a different router/modem obviously.
    ( I don't know a thing about computers, I had to youtube how to change the DNS settings)

7. Changing the DNS didn't fix it.

8. Is your POS connected by WiFi? I had an issue the other day where my computer kept trying to connect to the neighbor’s network and timing out. I had to rearrange the priority in my WiFi settings so it would quit jumping around.

Also, if it is WiFi, see if you can connect with a cable instead to rule out that connection.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

9. No, everything is hardwired.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'll buy ya a coffee if ya tell me how? I remember having to do something when I first set up the machine, but that was 3 1/2 years ago and on a different router/modem obviously.
    ( I don't know a thing about computers, I had to youtube how to change the DNS settings)
    it involves extra hardware and honestly is kind of a headache to set up; this is a "weekend with no business" project
    e: something like this http://community.linksys.com/t5/Wire...et/td-p/952638

in the meantime maybe put your pos on a static ip address on your router outside of the dhcp pool so it can't ddos the dhcp service with requests if the power browns out
    Last edited by cka; 19 Jan 2018 at 03:36 PM.