Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12346 ... LastLast

Thread: Fat Shaming in Games and Media

1. There's money to be made in the affirmation industry, Oprah is living proof of this. Games are getting in on that action.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name
    since it's not ok to make jokes at any other type of human's expense.
    As a bald guy, I disagree. I realize it's not the same, though. People tend to be much more cruel to fat people as it is seen as something they have more control over (which probably isn't always the case).

If they're so fat that they're wider than the wheel chair, they probably aren't going into too many business.
    That reminds me of a time I was in a Target store in Sacramento. Two extremely obese women in motorized wheelchairs they were too wide to really fit on were blocking all the room. Some skinny (Asian-looking but I think he was latino) guy walked past them. One woman screamed in a very loud ebonics accent, "Watch where you goin', you chow mein eatin' mothafucka!". It was such an American experience.

As for the topic, I don't think we should encourage people to be overweight but there's nothing wrong with a fat person being the main character in a movie or game. If they're supposed to be an action hero, then yeah, that doesn't really fit the theme. Personally, I find well proportioned chubby women attractive so I'm cool with seeing them in media.
    Last edited by NeoZeedeater; 23 Jan 2018 at 03:17 PM.

3. What games are doing this, by the way?

4. Do bald people get made fun of anymore? Seems like since shaving the head completely became a thing, I've not really seen any bald jokes. Fat AND bald, but not just bald.

5. There's no longer jokes about just being bald, it's more about it being funny if somebody's trying to hide that they're bald.

6. Comb overs and toupees are still ridiculous.

7. To me fating shaming is just dumb but fat acceptance is even worse. We all know for a fact there are many, many medical issues related to being overweight and trying to deny that as a myth is fucking stupid.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

Do bald people get made fun of anymore? Seems like since shaving the head completely became a thing, I've not really seen any bald jokes. Fat AND bald, but not just bald.
    It still happens to me sometimes. I don't completely shave my head as it looks worse on me than zero hair so I just buzz it really short. I'm also super white (being a ginger is another area of jokes) so being bald isn't going to look as good as on a dark skinned guy.

Fat people exist in the world, so they should probably exist in media too.

It’s worth noting that the obesity situation started when the government put nutrition guidelines in place. That is something worth reading about.

And with the baldness, I stopped shaving my head. I’m sure I will again, but I’ve not had a haircut in well over a year. If I was 20 with this hairline I’d be mad and shaving it daily, but I’m 39, and I look like I’m 39. I don’t care.

10. I like seeing a diverse range of non-model looking people in my media. Parks and Rec had Jerry, and Donna. Their weight wasn't the fulcrum of their personality even through they were a bit heavier. Nobody needs a running commentary about someone's weight. When I was younger I'd make fun of fat people, but them being fat wasn't really the point — hurting their feelings was. The fat thing was just an easy lay-up to a dunk. I've grown soft in my old age.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."