Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fat Shaming in Games and Media

1. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Do bald people get made fun of anymore? Seems like since shaving the head completely became a thing, I've not really seen any bald jokes. Fat AND bald, but not just bald.
    if they look good bald, no, if they look like me bald, yes

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I've grown soft in my old age.
    Fatty.

3. agreed, it's a fine line - you don't wanna make fun of the disabled or those with glandular/etc issues, and i absolutely get accepting different body types vs the same kind the media usually goes with (perpetuating body issues/dysmorphia etc), but at the same time, it's paramount to stress how important diet & regular exercise are. diabetes is killing a lot of people, and it's been on the rise for a while now.

more & more medical facilities (and transport services) are being setup for bariatric patients. honestly, i can't help but think proper universal healthcare - with a focus on preventative measures (access to a regional dietecian would go a long way) - could help a great deal here.

fuck what were we talkin about again

anyway, mario's a good one here, i like classic sonic with the pooch too.
    http://backloggery.com/irishninja/sig.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    You don't have to cater to my fat ass. Just don't be a dick about it either.
    thats kind of my feelings on it too. Don't treat people like shit just because they aren't great at this or that. But also don't lie to them.

This is more about me wanting to rant about a ResetEra thread and not get banned speaking my mind.

No games that I know of do it. The first Saint's Row and San Andreas let you be fat.

6. Quote Originally Posted by IrishNinja View Post
    more & more medical facilities (and transport services) are being setup for bariatric patients. honestly, i can't help but think proper universal healthcare - with a focus on preventative measures (access to a regional dietecian would go a long way) - could help a great deal here.

fuck what were we talkin about again

anyway, mario's a good one here, i like classic sonic with the pooch too.
    beep beep sociology paddle coming through

But seriously, you mostly nailed it with the universal healthcare issue. The USA's fattest states are also the poorest. What causes this? Lack of proper access to preventative healthcare, lack of access to proper knowledge about nutrition and lack of proper access to nutrition itself. These highly concentrated poor areas with high rates of obesity (and thus, diabetes, heart issues, etc.) are what causes the biggest drains on our current healthcare system. But again, no one really wants to fix the laws and programs and structures that would give people healthcare and better education, so we tend to attack the individual and tell them they made poor decisions and life choices and thats why they are fat and stupid and will die alone. Obviously, some individuals do suck at self control but in areas where obesity is highly concentrated, it's rarely *just* an individual issue.

~*It can be geographic as well*~
    an interesting note: https://www.gislounge.com/study-find...obesity-rates/
    versus
    https://maxmasnick.com/media/2011-11...unty_large.png
    But, what do much of the farmers market areas have in common? Lots of stuff can grow there! Alaska, the frozen tundra wasteland it is, can barely grow anything - so is it any wonder that obesity is fucking outta control there? Same with a lot of the northern-most areas that are high in obesity.
    And the middle of Nevada, where its just desert. etc. Sure, we have food transport and thats great, but it is often accessible to mainland only, not to rural or "wild" areas.

What I'm saying is concentrated obesity is due to a variety of issues. So, spending a lot of time attacking an individual about their weight unless you know his/her/their specific life circumstances and background and geographic area is kind of a waste of breath. You can attempt to educate someone who is open to change, because a lot of people do want to change their circumstances. But, yeah, telling a fat person they are fat? Dumb and a waste of time. Go rally for nutritional food programs for low income individuals if you truly "care about someone's welfare" or whatever the dumb fat shaming excuse really is.

On representation in media: It's fine. As the attitude/aesthetics of society change (whether that's size-wise, racially, gendered, whatever - it's natural to want to see people who "look and act like me." It's also natural in capitalism to want to sell to that demographic.) Again, to really buck against it is probably a waste of energy and breath because once it's represented in any media situation its already a norm of sorts. So, if you're seeing more and more fat people in media and it pisses you off, you're too late. If you hate it that bad, go vote or post on Facebook or whatever activism route you feel is appropriate.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

7. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    This is more about me wanting to rant about a ResetEra thread and not get banned speaking my mind.

No games that I know of do it. The first Saint's Row and San Andreas let you be fat.
    So this isn't actually a thing then?
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

Here's a question to those of us that are pleasantly plump. In games that let you create your character, or when making a Mii or some other player avatar, do you make that avatar fat? I might make the avatar look like me, but the avatar won't have the gut or the glasses. And he'll have slightly bigger muscles if the creation tool allows it.

9. I make mine female.

BACK OFF DOC

10. Same here, under the principle of 'whose butt do I want to be looking at the entire game'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!