Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Fat Shaming in Games and Media

1. I'm probably mis-attributing, but I think it was Todd McFarlane who made a comment that all male comic book artists draw women either as a reflection of their ideal woman, or as a self-portrait. I think, especially recently, there has been a shift to want to consume media that is reflective of the viewer, rather than the ideal.

I think fat-shaming is dumb and dickish. Any negative criticism is usually uninvited and unhelpful. If someone invites criticism, you should have something more constructive to give than "you suck."
    Fat acceptance is fine to a point. Most people get along in the modern world just fine, so why would you need to exclude them? But it's hard to celebrate someone for just existing. Love people as they are, but celebrate their achievements. From what I understand, positive reinforcement works a lot better to change people than negative reinforcement.

Kirby's Adventure is a lot of fun, but they didn't have to make it so easy just because he's soft around the middle.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post
    I make mine female.

BACK OFF DOC
    Same. I give her a fat ass too.

3. I can't agree with the idea that a character can't be fat "because realism."

4. Quote Originally Posted by Dunlap View Post
    I'm probably mis-attributing, but I think it was Todd McFarlane who made a comment that all male comic book artists draw women either as a reflection of their ideal woman, or as a self-portrait.
    I'd say, coming from an artist's perspective, it's often both, and about 1/3 subconscious, 1/3 gender swap wish fulfilment, and 1/3 laziness because it's easier to draw what you're familiar with.

It's a bit weird though regarding content creation, in terms of creating for the consumer versus the creator...it's so much easier to have passion for a project when it is meaningful to you personally, as a creator. That passion definitely comes through, and finds an audience, if the content is well conceived. At that point, it's really more an issue of diversity of creators in a genre. -and of course, in terms of longevity (in most media), whether a like-minded (for whatever reason) audience can resonate and consume that work.

5. I advertise for a lot of diabetes medications. I this is like talking work, so I won't.

I will just bring up Bob from Tekken as a cartoon fatman that is a little more than just fat jokes. That's the perfect balance, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    So this isn't actually a thing then?
    I can't think of too many games that let you play a fat protag, but there's plenty of them that play fat people off as a joke or paint them in a negative light.

Remember the fat girl in Persona 4? I don't think people should be treated that way, but I also don't think we should be saying it's ok. The skin disease comparison felt pretty apt to me. It's a treatable condition and we shouldn't tell people not to get better like weird fundies that avoid medicine.

7. Yangus, Torneko
    Karnov
    Doctor Yang
    Boogerman
    One of the Lost Vikings
    Winterbottom dude
    Best Ice Hockey dude
    Wario
    Bub, Bob
    Last edited by Some Stupid Japanese Name; 25 Jan 2018 at 04:05 AM.