Page 1 of 7 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Fat Shaming in Games and Media

Fat Shaming in Games and Media

Just wanted to get a TNL read on this one. Out of all the movements coming up, this is the one that a) refers to me, not being a woman or part of the lgbtq community and b) I don't quite get behind.

I understand not being deliberately cruel and humiliating to another human being. Lowered self-esteem and depression lead to demotivation and doesn't help the person involved, but I also oppose normalizing it and accepting it as who you are. I feel trapped by my weight. I know who I am is underneath these extra pounds and that my current state is unhealthy and should not be maintained. The last thing I want are video games and media telling people this is ok and to accept where they are.

The actions that take place in video games require a certain level of physical fitness, even as unrealistic as they may be. You can't have a fat Prince of Persia escape a dungeon or a fat Lara Croft raid a tomb successfully.

I'm seeing posts of physical fitness goals being met with derision on Facebook while fat acceptance "you're beautiful as you are" posts get infinite likes. I've been in good to decent shape a few times in my life and all it took was 3-4 days of an hour at the gym and decent eating habits. It's that easy and that hard.

My point is, as a member of this community of fat people, fat should not be normalized and it is not ok. Don't buy that next size up, wear that uncomfortable shit so it motivates you to lose some weight you fat piece of shit.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

2. I would agree with that. It's the result of an unhealthy lifestyle in almost all cases, and normalizing it actually harms the people it's supposedly intended to help.

How often do you see someone with skin problems in games? That's something that has never been accepted despite it being largely beyond anyone's control, and yet I've never encountered anyone who wants it celebrated in popular media.

3. Agreed on all accounts.
    I'd like for it to not be ok to make jokes at fat people's expense since it's not ok to make jokes at any other type of human's expense.
    But I'd never want a society that has to pretend it's ok to be fat, or to encourage it.
    I don't want businesses to have to make their doorways/aisles larger for fat people to get through the way they had to for wheelchairs, which it makes sense to.

Mario, you're such a fat fuck that people go by they say "God DAMN! Mario is a big fat fuck!"

5. You don't have to cater to my fat ass. Just don't be a dick about it either.

Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    Mario, you're such a fat fuck that people go by they say "God DAMN! Mario is a big fat fuck!"
    Haha, Mario is a positive, chubby character, you're right! He plays a lot of sports, though. Mario is a good role model.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I don't want businesses to have to make their doorways/aisles larger for fat people to get through the way they had to for wheelchairs, which it makes sense to.
    What about fat people in wheelchairs?

8. If they're so fat that they're wider than the wheel chair, they probably aren't going into too many business.

Now are they fat because they are in a wheelchair or are they in a wheelchair because they are fat? There is a fine distinction here.

10. With all this shame-shaming, it's never been a better time to be a fat slut.