Page 1 of 7 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Unskippable cutscenes & your own personal peeves in gaming

1. Mad Unskippable cutscenes & your own personal peeves in gaming

so yeah, unskippable cutscenes are often up there with early PSX (or dreamcast) games lacking dual analog: shit doesn't feel right

but what are other things from current/classic games that drive you nuts?

for me:

look at this motherfucker right here

i love NBA Jam & the SNES had a solid port...but it literally takes you about 30 seconds from when the system turns on till you can hit start setting up your game - that's crap! this wasn't loading time, it was everyone having to tag the game with their studios & licensing stuff in a way that couldn't be skipped.

modern games do this all the time & any offline game that takes more than a minute from clicking start at the OS to getting into gameplay feels like a failure to me on some level. yeah, it's worse when it's some single player shit like MGS5 that forces me to connect online, but many titles don't have that excuse, and while i know there's loading happening as well, it's just brutal.

i mostly wanted to bitch about that. thanks for your time.
    http://backloggery.com/irishninja/sig.gif

I’m not really a fan of games where I can’t play as Batman anymore.

Not being able to jump in a free roaming game.

Using things that irl I could move out of the way as barriers.

"Oh no, I can't enter this area because of this basketball and park bench in the way. I can't jump over them either."

4. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I’m not really a fan of games where I can’t play as Batman anymore.
    but like
    the last batman game had too much driving

Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Not being able to jump in a free roaming game.

Using things that irl I could move out of the way as barriers.

"Oh no, I can't enter this area because of this basketball and park bench in the way. I can't jump over them either."
    oh yeah, yeah those are terrible too - for me that's right up there with old JRPG's where you'd know exactly what you needed to do/where to go next but you'd have to figure out the order of who needed to be talked to first before that was allowed

there's also thsi JRPG thing where your party could get really tough and wipe out tons of people but then you'd be surrounded by the 3 or 4 characters the game could display at once and arrested or something and act all powerless...like, my group of teens is apparently the only squad that can handle this existential threat, and we're gonna let these guys take us in? cmonnnnn

5. It takes me (what feels like) 5 minutes from starting the PS4 to actually playing Doom.

6. I hate all those fucking splash screens. They're stupid in general and unforgivable on portables.
    I also hate games that use every button on the controller just because they're there.

7. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    It takes me (what feels like) 5 minutes from starting the PS4 to actually playing Doom.
    for real? that one's on my list so that's upsetting.

these things really suck when you're drunk & just wanna dive into something...last gen i swear the PS3 had to OS update, then the game, and when i went to the store to redeem the DLC code, even that needed an update of some kind

i just drank more & played Cosmic Smash instead but it was traumatic all the same

8. Also having to sign in multiple players on modern consoles. It's gotten to the point that PCs are easier to use than consoles. That's fucked up.

9. When games make me think, "I should stop playing this game because I'm going to die soon and even if I don't die soon, someone I love will and either way I'm just wasting precious natural resources and precious vitality on something that won't help me or anyone I love."

How many fields do people go through a similar kind of existential crisis, though. It seems to happen to video game players frequently enough, but I don't see nearly as many people writing posts about how ephemeral and pointless everything is for discussion of things like sports or cars, for example.

Anyway. If I am in a menu, and I am at the bottom of the menu, and I press down again, I want to go to the top choice of the god damned menu.

If a game is score attack oriented, and the choice to restart is buried in a menu, do not ask me again if I want to restart the god damned game after I make that choice. I had to press pause and move the cursor down to select Restart already, you assholes. What the fuck do you think I want to do.