Page 9 of 79 FirstFirst ... 578910111323 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you playing? (long overdue)

1. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I played (and beat!) the hell out of Conan. It really is a C grade game, but the many parries/death finishers were a blast to pull off.
    Exactly, those parries are really sweet to pull off. I think I only have a couple chapters left, so I'm going to try and finish it off too...it's total cheese, but in a good way. You have to love it too, when you save a topless woman and she responds by telling you, "Take me, and crush me with your love!" lmfao.

2. What are you playing 2018? (long overdue)

Rime was free on plus. Pretty good game, but it never measures up to either Journey or Ico - it’s clear inspirations.
    Boo, Hiss.

3. Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    This might be the best retro collection port ever. The graphic options are insane. Everyone should have this.
    Yep and I cannot get over how the 360 is the shmup console of all-time. Unbelievable

4. I think you spelled Saturn wrong.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Vasteel View Post
    I remember the PS intro being longer, and in the 3DS's favor, way more of a fetchquesty slog
    It was way, way longer in the PS1 version. It was like three hours between the opening credits and the first battle. It did a great job of establishing the tone of uneasy normalcy, but anything can establish any tone when it has a Christopher-Nolan-movie-length introduction.

I'm about 35 hours into VIII DS and it's kind of making me mad. The skill progression is so bad in this game. None of my characters has gained an interesting new ability in probably twelve hours. And the order in which you unlock abilities makes NO SENSE. Why is "Dragon Slash" the first sword ability you unlock when it's 25 hours before you encounter your first dragon-type enemy? It's the first skill you learn and it's useless until the endgame dungeons. This is so contrary to DQ design philosophy that I'm not even sure it's real.

As if the skill progression weren't slow and bad enough, there are arbitrary, character level-based limits on the number of points you can allocate to one weapon type. I've been dumping all of Angelo's skill points into staves (and have precisely one staff ability after 35 hours of exclusively leveling that weapon). He levels up, I go to dump, and the game tells me Angelo's character level isn't high enough for me to level his staves any more.

I get why it wants me to experiment with multiple weapon types, but maybe a better way to do that is by actually having interesting weapon skills instead of imposing arbitrary limits.

The game just hates to give you stuff. I've been using the same gear for the last ten hours, too. It's the stingiest Dragon Quest. Maybe it's a backlash to VII's profusion of abilities? That game had almost too much interesting stuff to manage.

I'm still enjoying it, but, man, the charm and graphics sure did pave over a lot of the ugliness back in 2006 or whatever. I think it'll lose its status as my second-favorite DQ by the end of it.

YOU HEAR THAT, DRAGON QUEST

KEEP IT UP, WISE GUY

Maybe it will get more exciting if/when I can finally use Morrie and Red instead of dumb olé Angelo.

6. The board has deprived you of the rep earned by your ironclad choice of vocable.

7. I am at the final boss of VIII, talk about making me mad... I will probably need to spend another 10 hours or more to level up and get better equipment to have a chance. Need to read up on how to kill King Metal Slime so I can lvl up faster.

No wonder I don't finish very many JRPGs. I usually get to toward the end and give up.

8. Use crit-or-whiff skills like Hatchet Man, Executioner, or Thunder Thrust while poking them with insta-kill weapons like an Assassin's Dagger (Jessica, Red) or Demon Spear (Hero). Insta-kill spells and weapon skills (Thwack, Assassin's Stab) do not work, though.

I think multi-hit skills like Multi-thrust inherit weapon properties every hit, so Multi-thrusting with a Demon Spear equipped rolls a potential insta-kill four times!

They're not gonna stick around long enough to whittle them down with Metal Slash/Falcon Slash. Gotta go for the big moves.
    Last edited by A Robot Bit Me; 23 Feb 2018 at 12:46 PM.

9. That's what I gather, thanks.