Page 19 of 79 FirstFirst ... 51517181920212333 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you playing? (long overdue)

Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    While I was out today, I stopped at a friend's place and we played TMNT Manhattan project. We got as far as super shredder.

We also did some comparisons of TMNT 2 arcade, Hyperstone and Turtles in Time snes.

Lastly, I beat Final Fight arcade.
    Nice. Manhattan Project is hardcore, it doesn't get enough love.

Final Fight is a pretty good laugh as an adult. Just the idea that a mayor is beating wholesale ass from one end of Manhattan to the next.

And how you just walk up to dudes hanging out and you start whaling on them.

Or how Haggar can freaking sucker punch a garbage can, a telephone booth and other metal crap in half and dudes half his size still try to pick a fight. The friend and I both agreed if we saw a guy as big as Haggar punch a garbage can in half, and then he picked up a pipe, we'd get the fuck out of there.

3. I personally like the burning bodies when they step on a firecracker.

Slay the Spire:

Into the Breach:
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

5. I've been playing Shining Force II on my phone during commutes and poops.

I think this game might actually be kinda bad.

There's really no strategy beyond walking a tank up to the edge of an enemy's movement range with a bunch of other guys behind him, taking a hit, and then surrounding the enemy with your dudes-in-waiting. There's virtually no customization and cover doesn't matter all that much. There are almost no match-up concerns beyond the turtle guy being strong against physical attacks and weak to magic. The story segments between battles are slogs and the mithril and other hidden items are hidden in only the most obscure, guide-necessitating places. You'd have to search every tile in the game to 100% it unassisted. Egress repays grinding more than strategy.

The Fire Emblem game that came out the same year as this slaughters it. The one that came out two years after is on another level entirely.

IGN called this the 48th best game ever. If you had someone who didn't play video games try it, then told them fewer than fifty games are better than it, how much interest in the hobby would they walk away with?

6. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    I've been playing Shining Force II on my phone during commutes and poops.
    You played Shining Force Deuce while dropping a Deuce?

That’s probably right. Shining force 2 was kind of a slog. I liked 1 but it’s a case of “I’ve never played something like this before.” One of the easiest tactics games around (though front mission games aren’t too tough either). Fire emblem pretty much destroys this entire series....but shining force did set the template. 1 is better than 2 imo.

All your gripes are totally legit.

Now take a game like Military Madness, which set the template for stuff like Advance Wars, and it still holds up very well but by today’s standards it would still be considered short, easy, and features light.

Ps If you like tactics games and missed out on military madness please track it down and play it. It was a tg-16 release so it seems like a lot of people missed it but it was re released both as a ps2 remake and on wii virtual console and I’m sure you can find an emu.

9. The sequel, Neo Nectaris is JPN only an contains the original game. There is also a US release (Nectaris: MM) for PS1 as well.

Warsong on Genesis was a quality SRPG, too. And it came out before Shining Force so there weren't many games like it in English.