Page 28 of 79 FirstFirst ... 142426272829303242 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you playing? (long overdue)

1. Been playing Star Fox: Assault. I can see why there was such a mixed response, but the game is fun once you get used to the ground stages. It's pretty short but I can see a bit of replayability. The multiplayer is the best aspect of the game though. It's so fun.
    You act as though payback makes you a noble man, is that a fact?
    Well, you're a goddamn Philistine!

2. Now that I have finished all five episodes of Heretic (E4M1 and E5M1 are by far the hardest IMO), I am going through Hexen. This had some confusing level design, because you could go around in circles (across multiple maps) for hours trying to find a switch you were supposed to flip.

3. Way LTTP, but I am finally playing Shadow of the Colossus. It's one of those weird games that I know I ought to have played and just never got around to, so I'm experiencing it for the first time with the new PS4 remake. I'm 6 Colossi in.

It's interesting playing this after The Last Guardian because it really has a lot of the same issues, despite being a much better game. It's got finnicky controls and an ragdolly-imprecise character. Even the climbing mechanics are pretty much identical. There's not a lot of story outside of the beginning and (presumably) end. They also have a lot of the same strengths with beautiful design and a totally distinctive atmosphere thick enough to cut. But ultimately, Shadow of the Colossus has two things going for it that TLG doesn't: Pacing, and a tight, satisfying gameplay loop. Rather than just being an endless quest with no real destination or sense of progress, it's an almost episodic structure, where every encounter feels climactic.

Better late than never. The remake does a really good job at staying true to the original for the most part (the main character's face looks way different for some reason, though) while touching up minor bits of control. The only thing it lacks compared to the original is the awe factor of seeing how far the hardware can be pushed. It was a technical marvel by PS2 standards but for PS4 it's just another game from a technology standpoint. I still like it more than Ico and Last Guardian.

5. The new God of War was obtained. I had my reservations about it, and so far they've been justified. So far I've been Veterinarian of War, Florist of War and Walk slowly don't worry we'll get there of War. The child is not as annoying as I was worried about, but he can get involved in combat so its only a matter of time that I fail due to him dying.

6. Ok I've played more. It gets better, but it is definitely Dad of War.

7. I'm having a hard time with how mean he is to Atreus. Dad is a DICK.

8. Yeah, as opposed to the previous games where Kratos was a really nice guy.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

9. BOY!

10. I find GoW too hard on Hard. I know, I know, but it seems like everything I do is useless. Everything takes fifty hits, he keeps telling his kid to shoot arrows at the Revenant but they don't do shit...I feel like I am missing something.