Page 27 of 79 FirstFirst ... 132325262728293141 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you playing? (long overdue)

1. The number of RPGs on Sega hardware playable today without frameskip/fast forward is not many.

I really love the PS2 Phantasy Star I-IV collection for so many reasons. The fast forward options (which, as I recall, don't affect the music) turn PSII into a jaunty little maybe 12-15-hour fun time.

2. Fortnite's got its teeth in me, never would have expected it.

On the one hand, it sucks that a remake of Phantasy Star sucks, but on the other I'm kinda glad to hear it because I'd always felt I was missing out on something so I feel better about skipping it.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    The number of RPGs on Sega hardware playable today without frameskip/fast forward is not many.

I really love the PS2 Phantasy Star I-IV collection for so many reasons. The fast forward options (which, as I recall, don't affect the music) turn PSII into a jaunty little maybe 12-15-hour fun time.
    My little brother and I recently played Shining the Holy Ark and recognized this to be the case.

I had no idea about fast forward on that collection, now I need to try it.

4. Playing Witcher 3 on PS4 due to the patch (not that I have a 4k HDR tv), this game is badass.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Vasteel View Post
    On the one hand, it sucks that a remake of Phantasy Star sucks, but on the other I'm kinda glad to hear it because I'd always felt I was missing out on something so I feel better about skipping it.

My little brother and I recently played Shining the Holy Ark and recognized this to be the case.

I had no idea about fast forward on that collection, now I need to try it.
    Shining the Holy Ark is awesome. I've always felt that it was a more enjoyable game than FFVII.

6. A new Sakura Taisen title got announced and I remembered I never played the last one. I played 1-4 on Dreamcast, but I didn't have a PS2 at the time 5 came out, and never got around to it. So I'm going to give that a go.

7. Trying to get back into Bravely Default as my half-hour-before-bed game. I needed a break from DQVIII--the stalled-out weapon and skill progression was wearing on me. I really like this game, but I can't fight Nemeses without the game crashing. It sucks because I like those FF:4 Heroes of Light bosses and battle theme.

I'm not yet at The Part that makes everyone hate this game, but I love it. Its UI is Disgaea-tier. That you can press right on the dpad to confirm a selection is everything to me. That you can hold right to keep confirming the same choice (e.g., hold R to Brave four times, scroll down to whatever ability you want to use four times, hold right until it fills all your turns with that ability) is brilliant. Feels especially good coming off of DQVIII's absolutely horrible interface.
    Last edited by A Robot Bit Me; 14 Apr 2018 at 12:53 PM.

8. Playing Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean on my actual gamecube instead of my wii. Felt nostalgic about the lunchbox so I set it.
    You act as though payback makes you a noble man, is that a fact?
    Well, you're a goddamn Philistine!

9. I started up Suikoden IV, aka the only one I've not beat.

After 6 or so hours, I'm just at the point where you start gathering up the other stars of destiny. I forgot this one took so long to get started. Suiko 5 followed suit as I recall. Controlling the ship and the ridiculous encounter rate are still as obnoxious as I remember. However, I do feel I'm getting something out of all these battles as it costs a lot of potch to keep everyone well equipped. So it's not like most rpgs where money eventually becomes worthless as you run out of stuff to spend it on. I've never had that issue in a Suikoden.
    The graphics are kinda meh. I switched to an SDtv and the backgrounds took a hit as a result. Shimmery, grainy mess. All the geometry and texture work looks kinda crappy compared to, say, FFX which released 3 years earlier. One area that it absolutely blows FFX out of the water is the voice work. It's really well done! I actually let the characters say all their lines. I think I put 15-20 hours into it the last time I played before I gave up. I'm hoping I can stick with it this time. It'd be nice to be able to say I completed them all.
    Lastly, as goofy as the walking animation in Suiko 3 looked, I think they managed to make it worse in this one. When you press R1 to run (WHY DO ANALOG CONTROLLED GAMES HAVE RUN BUTTONS?!) it's downright hilarious.

10. I have been absolutely loving the backwards compatability and Xbox One X Enhanced shit Microsoft has been doing.

I did a run through Crackdown since it's all 4k now and while it was pretty fun and easy, I forgot how fucking shallow the game actually was without online co-op and some of those fun challenges. Then I started up Red Dead Redemption for the same reasons and it's fucking incredible as always. The improved visuals and performance were a great excuse to get back into it and now I'm even more excited for the sequel this year than I've already been.

I already owned SSX3 on Gamecube but I picked it up at a local game store for OG Xbox for $8 in advance of the incoming backwards compatability patch for that. Pretty stoked on it.