Page 36 of 79 FirstFirst ... 223234353637384050 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you playing? (long overdue)

1. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon on ps4

Hella hyped for Ritual of the Night

2. I really like how deaths never feel unearned in Celeste. It’s always fair. The exploration aspect is also a welcome addition to a genre that’s usually just a series of screens.
    Boo, Hiss.

Playing Dark Souls for the first time. Game is good, but so far I liked Demon's Souls better.

Here is my constructive criticism:

1) Why is there no in-game map revealed as you play? Pretty much every other game in this genre has an in-game map available. I have been voicing this opinion on stream and pretty much nobody agrees with me but I see zero downside to including a map. Fighting my way through an area to a dead end (like backwards through blight town ending up on the wrong side of the depths) isn't frustrating, but spending the next hour trying to remember how to get back to Firelink is. Being able to note connections and merchants once found would be pretty helpful. I've heard people say "It would break immersion" or "I don't mind it because you're supposed to wander through the game" or "You should make a mental map." Fuck all of that. Especially consider players who have to take long breaks before playing. Wasting my fucking time trying to route is not my idea of a good time. If you're a player who doesn't want to look at a map, don't look at a map. Eventually you'll learn the routing, sure.

Alternatively, maybe the devs should have opened up campfire warping earlier. I'm sure not having a map is almost a non-issue with campfire warps, even if you don't remember the shortcuts. I also heard in DS 2 or 3 you get warps from the start?

2) Blighttown mosquitoes in no-clip mode is fucking embarassingly broken and I can't believe it was left in the game.

3) 3D platforming in general still has so many issues. Demon's and Dark Souls is mostly fair about it but there has been a lot of buggy terrain/camera problems and it's been surprising to me.

4) I wish you could split saves. I wish this for a ton of games.

That's pretty much it. I'm good with the rest of it. I wish I understood kindling earlier, someone in chat was like you can use humanity it's no big deal but I haven't kindled any bonfires and it would be pretty useful.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Headphone Actor View Post
    Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon on ps4

Hella hyped for Ritual of the Night
    I've been playing this on the Switch, it's awesome.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Cowutopia View Post
    Playing Dark Souls for the first time. Game is good, but so far I liked Demon's Souls better.

Here is my constructive criticism:

1) Why is there no in-game map revealed as you play? Pretty much every other game in this genre has an in-game map available. I have been voicing this opinion on stream and pretty much nobody agrees with me but I see zero downside to including a map. Fighting my way through an area to a dead end (like backwards through blight town ending up on the wrong side of the depths) isn't frustrating, but spending the next hour trying to remember how to get back to Firelink is. Being able to note connections and merchants once found would be pretty helpful. I've heard people say "It would break immersion" or "I don't mind it because you're supposed to wander through the game" or "You should make a mental map." Fuck all of that. Especially consider players who have to take long breaks before playing. Wasting my fucking time trying to route is not my idea of a good time. If you're a player who doesn't want to look at a map, don't look at a map. Eventually you'll learn the routing, sure.

Alternatively, maybe the devs should have opened up campfire warping earlier. I'm sure not having a map is almost a non-issue with campfire warps, even if you don't remember the shortcuts. I also heard in DS 2 or 3 you get warps from the start?

2) Blighttown mosquitoes in no-clip mode is fucking embarassingly broken and I can't believe it was left in the game.

3) 3D platforming in general still has so many issues. Demon's and Dark Souls is mostly fair about it but there has been a lot of buggy terrain/camera problems and it's been surprising to me.

4) I wish you could split saves. I wish this for a ton of games.

That's pretty much it. I'm good with the rest of it. I wish I understood kindling earlier, someone in chat was like you can use humanity it's no big deal but I haven't kindled any bonfires and it would be pretty useful.
    Demons Souls is great but Dark Souls is a better game.

1) Because you don't need a map, just get better. The world isn't that complicated. If you had a map it would significantly cut down on exploring. Plus how the fuck would you make a readable in game map of something like Blighttown for example?\
    Short answer, just Git Gud.

2) The game is incredibly old and they didn't actually bother to update the game aside from slight graphic tweaks.

3) See number 2.

4) nah, that would allow far too much cheating.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

6. how the heck is a seven year old game incredibly old?

7. Because we're fucking ancient.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

"Git Gud" is a stupid counter argument, and I'm wondering if the design decision of not having a map is just to make players feel smug so they can say shit like this. I'm on a huge rant about this over on the discord if you want to see.

Use SotN as a contrasting example, because I think it's a perfect one. SotN Is another seamlessly connected game world that is fairly easy to navigate but does require backtracking, contains shortcuts, and has lots of hidden items. It is similarly possible to miss large chunks of the game. The time between my first playthrough of SotN and discovering the upside-down castle was years, and it has a map. Specifically, it has a map that only fills in as you explore, and one that doesn't detail the finer terrain, which is what Dark Souls should have.

So, how would an omission of the map in SotN "Cut Down" on exploring? I think having the map and map % in SotN encouraged me to explore MORE, rather than to assume an area was fully cleared and move on. And again, most of this exploration didn't happen on my first playthrough, so the map didn't stop there from being things to uncover over many more hours of play.

What design purpose does not having a map serve? You are already leveraging things like enemy placement, bonfire warping, lighting effects, environmental "weenies" and object locations to entice players to explore

If the game is easy to navigate, why not include a SotN style map, since all it does is make playtime more efficient?

Why would you assume a player would internalize the map even after a long break from the game?

As to save splitting, this is, to me, just a way to see more content by exploring branching paths without an entirely new playthrough. It's kind of like marking your path in a choose your own adventure book and taking different paths without starting the whole book over. I don't see it as anything other than a timesave in terms of enjoying the content.

Missing a few minutes of content because I killed an npc or missed an item because of a routing difference doesn't inspire me to replay what is a long game, but games where you can split saves usually does entice me into trying out different paths.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

9. There are no branching paths of your game in dark souls so there’s no content to miss, unless you foolishly kill an npc so it isn’t necessary to have split saves

10. I'll never bitch about Discord replacing TNL again.
    You that aren't in chat don't know how much shoegazing it saved your asses.