Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 467891012 ... LastLast

Thread: This Month's Haul: February 2018

1. I still find PC's on the curb that are somewhat usable.
    In the past month I've found a working thinkpad, a really old macbook that just needs the OS re-installed, and an HP laptop that works, but has a dead battery, dead cmos battery, and busted wi-fi. I just fix them up and give them to people at work because I have no use for them, but I hate to see working stuff end up in the trash.

Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    I can't take these thrift store/Goodwill cornucopias like the ones Low keeps finding. Yesterday, my buddy in Portland texted me pictures of loose (but complete) Nendoroids he got at GW for $2. So I went to the one down the street after class.

The best game thing they had was SSX Tricky (PS2) and SSX On Tour complete for $10 total, which is not bad, but not remarkable. The toys were sealed figures from that EVOLVE game for $10 each, which I imagine is nearly retail. Oh, and they had an Urkel doll for $15. If a t-shirt had something that looked like an anime or a videogame, it was marked up from $2 to $10 and put behind glass.

How are you people DOING THIS
    Live far away from smart people doing shitty jobs.

3. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    I can't take these thrift store/Goodwill cornucopias like the ones Low keeps finding. Yesterday, my buddy in Portland texted me pictures of loose (but complete) Nendoroids he got at GW for $2. So I went to the one down the street after class.

The best game thing they had was SSX Tricky (PS2) and SSX On Tour complete for $10 total, which is not bad, but not remarkable. The toys were sealed figures from that EVOLVE game for $10 each, which I imagine is nearly retail. Oh, and they had an Urkel doll for $15. If a t-shirt had something that looked like an anime or a videogame, it was marked up from $2 to $10 and put behind glass.

How are you people DOING THIS
    goodwills are almost all terrible, but even they let stuff slide. If you have other thrifts near you, hit those first, but if goodwill is your only option, you need to dig in sections that wouldn't be intuitive. Look in the kids section and in the mechanical misc crap section.

PDX is a goldmine though when it comes to thrifting, so your bud is lucky. But yeah, goodwills also go in phases - for awhile they weren't putting out any books, then they started again. now they aren't taking furniture. electronic stuff goes in waves. Fuckin weird management.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

4. yeah i wish we had other thrifts out here more, our goodwills literally don't even carry PS2 or PC games with their CD's like they used to. it's a whole lotta nothing out here.

5. I find nothing but hot garbage (sports games) at thrift stores. Seeing a loose Sonic 1 with ripped labels for $10 is like the holy grail as all the thrift stores have either put stuff online or price at ebay listings.

6. Our record stores get most of the good shit over here, Amoeba Records and Rasputin Music tend to get some rad stuff, to the point of carrying vinyl game soundtracks used.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

7. I dropped by a Goodwill on the North side of McAllen Texas. There was a fat old man sitting at the front of the store with a 20" vcr/tv combo. The front of the store had one little shelf with a bunch of VHS tapes, CDs and old ass DVD movies. There was also an HD DVD of Tom Cruise's Mission Impossible. There was 2 milk crates full of really bad records sitting below that shelf. The rest of the store had a bunch of crappy kids toys and racks full of clothes.

Same old shit, different city.
    Last edited by gamevet; 14 Feb 2018 at 07:34 PM.

8. I have a couple goodwills relatively nearby that I would stop by after work or something similar for awhile. Never found shit. I've only managed one lucky find on letgo so far and that was a really nice boxed colecovision, with a bunch of games, the turbo controller, an atari 5200 and some games all for 75 bucks. That's the only deal I've ever managed on any of that kind of stuff.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

9. Thrift stores have become a wasteland. There’s one Goodwill about 30 miles away that I’ve had good luck at, try to stop by anytime I’m in the area. I stopped by the local GW about a few weeks back (first time I stepped foot in 6 months) and ran across steelbook Prime Trilogy and The Last Story. No games inside. Ask the woman up front if they have the games behind the counter. Nope, she snags the games, says they were probably stolen and throws them in the trash. I offered her the $3 apiece marked on them give the manuals and cases were in great shape. She doggedly refused to sell them, said it was the policy. I’m at a loss for the logic here, but wasn’t going to waste time arguing the bottom step of the retail world.

10. I ordered one a'them black Super NT minis on a drunken lark. I actually bought the black 8bitdo controller the week before, so it was a quick leap onto the justification train from there when orders opened back up.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishNinja View Post
    finally completed the set!

Click for full size
    I still look back with incredulity that I didn't buy one of those Crazy Taxi toys years back when Kay-Bee had a bunch of them on clearance.

I fucking loved Crazy Taxi, I bought tons of toys. What the fuck, younger me?
    Last edited by Bacon McShig; 14 Feb 2018 at 08:49 PM.