Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Out of Print Media

gamevet speaks the truth too though. Most people had shit players and shit cameras. VHS sucks, but not conceptually as bad as the mid range player your parents got at Sears.

A good example is the arcade footage I posted. Its some of the best footage of that specific place, from 86, on youtube. I didn't do any audio or picture editing on it. It was all the camera and vhs deck my dad had.

2. Yep, it's all about the quality of the equipment. You can get away with cheaper hardware with digital, but in the world of analog, you don't want to go cheap.

I have a tape that I recorded gameplay of Tekken 2 and Beyond the Beyond on. It was recorded in SLP, so the image isn't quite as good as it would be with standard play.

This (and Tekken 2) was recorded with my old Fisher 4 head Hi-Fi VCR and it's being played back on a 6 head Daewoo VCR. The Fisher VCR was soooooo much better.

I used to get free promo tapes all of the time. Some of them were complete crap, because the companies would try to use as little tape as they could by recording them with SLP and probably a 2 head VCR.

This was some crappy tape from Midway and Nintendo for Top Gear Rally. They recorded it in SLP and it looks like total crap.

This promo tape from Nintendo for the N64 looks good. It was recorded at regular speed and has no screen noise like the SLP video tape does.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gamevet; 10 Feb 2018 at 04:18 PM.

3. those are all insanely cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

4. My Life in Gaming has a video or two of those promo tapes. Fun stuff. I know I have a couple n64 tapes. I wanna say Banjo and Zelda Majora.

5. I have (somewhere) a promo tape of Star Gladiator that I'd received from Capcom. It was pretty much a long run tape that could be used in stores to continuously look the same promo over and over again. I always wanted to try that game out, it looked pretty cool in the video.

I was going to mention some of the recordings iretrogaming showed. Some of them look pretty good. My guess is that his old man had S-VHS.
    Last edited by gamevet; 10 Feb 2018 at 06:58 PM.

6. In '99 I took some psuedo inheritance money and started a videography business with a buddy. Spent like $2000 on a Sony S-VHS editing deck.
    We did enough weddings and events to basically cover what I put into the high 8 cameras, titlers, and AB rollers, but that deck was mostly a S-Video switcher for my systems. My chick would throw a disney tape in it for the kids to watch and I'd flip out. "I spent too much money on that for you to use as a common VCR!"

7. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    ELP for the loss!
    Quality loss?

8. Quote Originally Posted by Error View Post
    Quality loss?
    Yes, but I meant to say SLP.

9. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    ELP for the loss!
    ELP for the win.