Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Out of Print Media

1. Disc Out of Print Media

I noticed some John Woo movies I wanted to replace/upgrade are out of print along with the old gangster movies or old movies period. The stuff I bought are all DVD.

How long are DVDs designed to last? Are we suppose to rip these if we want to keep them another 10 years? What to do about old media?
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

2. Hard vs soft media is a tough one. I'd say hold onto anything that is vaguely hard to find. anything mainstream (fight club! scarface!) you probably want to unload if you're strapped on space. DVD was a trash format though, VHS is where it's at.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

Put them in a box in the closet then download. That or sell them and download.

rip the disk ISO. There are plenty of players now that will play the raw disk iso.

Send me all your John Woo movies.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    DVD was a trash format though, VHS is where it's at.
    Get bent you hipster weenie.
    I love shitty, dead formats, and I won't touch VHS with Gohan's dick.
    "I want to watch a move that's been cropped, has shitty AV on its best day, and probably has an episode of Ryan's Hope taped over the middle of it please."

7. DVD is still pretty bad, though. Baked in interlacing and goofball frame cadence are less bad than what you get with VHS, but it's far from ideal.

8. I love my laserdiscs, DVD had an excellent run too. I do tend to find that a well mastered LD on a CRT looks a lot better than any DVD stretched to fit a modern TV screen, the digital compression does not age very well at all.

Embrace entropy, do what you want with whatever format. Horror movies look best on VHS, you can't see the strings. A format's flaws can have charm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

Yeah but modern equipment can at least mostly fix those issues on DVD. My cheap ass Blu-ray player does a pretty good job of deinterlacing and spits out a nice 1080p/24 signal. Not even my ridiculous video processor can make vhs look like anything but ass.

10. A weird thing with VHS, a first-play of a tape is a *really clean* image. I found a cute tri-color tape Ranma 1/2 Best-Of set, I was shocked by how nice the image quality was.

It's a shame it won't live, but then again who does?
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!