Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Out of Print Media

1. He's showing that it records audio better than reel to reel tape and can keep 99% percent of its audio quality. The Operation Mindcrime VHS tape I was talking about sounds just as good as listening to the CD.

2. I've heard of VHS decks being modified to use the whole tape as an audio medium, but I didn't really understand why.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    VHS was gutter trash in it's heyday. Blurry at it's best, tracking issues, shit tier sound. You're looking through the rosest of rose colored glasses. Perhaps nostalgic for a time long past, and not a format.
    omg! you all suck. VHS is great. I get a tape, I can record a bunch of crazy shit in a row on it. Like, 8 hours of crazy shit!
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    He's showing that it records audio better than reel to reel tape
    Get outta town with that shit. I remember people doing this in the late 90’s as a gimmick. I recorded at an 8 track studio that used vhs tape. It sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I've heard of VHS decks being modified to use the whole tape as an audio medium, but I didn't really understand why.
    I could see using it in the mastering process, but there is a reason that people tend not to.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Get outta town with that shit. I remember people doing this in the late 90’s as a gimmick. I recorded at an 8 track studio that used vhs tape. It sucked.
    I don't think it's a great idea at all, but it does show that the audio quality of VHS gets a bad rap because people used cheap tapes and shitty VCRs connected directly to televisions. I had my HiFi VCR connected to surround from 1993 to around 2000 when I finally got a DVD player. It always sounded good.
    Last edited by gamevet; 07 Feb 2018 at 01:52 AM.

7. I had a VCR for about ten years just to use as a TV tuner/RF modulator with old equipment. Sometimes I used it to tape reruns of Star Trek TNG while I was at work, but I think that's the only cassette I ever had.
    When the local cable company dropped all of their analog channels and I couldn't get free cable anymore, I got rid of it.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    VHS was gutter trash in it's heyday. Blurry at it's best, tracking issues, shit tier sound. You're looking through the rosest of rose colored glasses. Perhaps nostalgic for a time long past, and not a format.
    This man speaks the truth. I was so happy when VHS was thrown into the trash like the garbage it was. Early DVD could be rough at times, but it didn’t take long for things to get straightened out.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.