Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 79101112131525 ... LastLast

Thread: The Thoughts and Prayers thread. Brought to you by the NRA

1. This thread proves it.

2. It’s probably true that removing guns from society, somehow, would reduce gun crime. It’s also true that giving everyone a gun would probably stop the gunman way sooner. I doubt SSJNs idea could work but who knows?

But we only REALLY talk about it after a mass shooting like this. We don’t talk about the amount of handgun deaths every day. The topic itself focuses the conversation in to a shallow knee jerk reaction. Talking about even toy guns in Canada is a taboo thing — shh we don’t say those words here. That’s not a good look for a democracy.

We have a model that reduced crime simply by not evangelizing it in the news. Let’s try that. Seems easier to enforce too.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

3. Canada had an estimated 10 million guns the last time I looked into it. That's far less per capita than the U.S. but it's still a lot.

4. It's worked a hundred times, just not in this application. Enough people threaten advertisers, and it doesn't take very many- a vocal minority is all you need, and they will pull their ads.
    You (royal you) argue that the news won't stop making a spectacle about this shit because it pulls in viewers. They only care about viewers because they use those numbers to determine how much they can charge the advertisers. If advertisers are too scared, then it won't matter how many people watch the shit. Without the money coming in, the news media will switch it up. That's how you get them to stop evangelizing it. You can't legally do anything to them, but you can hurt their pockets. Again, McCarthy made it work for him, wacko religious fruits make it work for them, and modern social justice warriors make it work for them.
    I realize I'm just repeating myself at this point so I'll drop it. But fuck if I don't feel like a dude in a cartoon in which people are sitting around a table asking for ideas and the one person offering one that ALREADY HAS WORKED keeps getting talked over or ignored.

On the political side, instead of bitching about lobbyists we don't like, why aren't we creating/supporting those that we do? Fuck, the NRA itself is little more than a vocal minority. It claims 5 million members. Why can't the other 235,000,000 adult Americans get a Reverse NRA together?

5. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Canada had an estimated 10 million guns the last time I looked into it. That's far less per capita than the U.S. but it's still a lot.

The majority of them are most likely hunting rifles and shotguns.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    You don't boycott the news, you go after the advertisers. You do the same exact thing religious idiots do to force change or get people fired. Start a small business/not for profit with a catchy name, and then letter bomb advertisers stating that you're going to boycott their products unless they stop advertising during news shows that feed into these murderer's agendas. It literally takes hundreds of people, not millions.
    Can I just not buy their products instead? I’m already doing that.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    It's worked a hundred times, just not in this application. Enough people threaten advertisers, and it doesn't take very many- a vocal minority is all you need, and they will pull their ads.
    You (royal you) argue that the news won't stop making a spectacle about this shit because it pulls in viewers. They only care about viewers because they use those numbers to determine how much they can charge the advertisers. If advertisers are too scared, then it won't matter how many people watch the shit. Without the money coming in, the news media will switch it up. That's how you get them to stop evangelizing it. You can't legally do anything to them, but you can hurt their pockets. Again, McCarthy made it work for him, wacko religious fruits make it work for them, and modern social justice warriors make it work for them.
    I realize I'm just repeating myself at this point so I'll drop it. But fuck if I don't feel like a dude in a cartoon in which people are sitting around a table asking for ideas and the one person offering one that ALREADY HAS WORKED keeps getting talked over or ignored.

On the political side, instead of bitching about lobbyists we don't like, why aren't we creating/supporting those that we do? Fuck, the NRA itself is little more than a vocal minority. It claims 5 million members. Why can't the other 235,000,000 adult Americans get a Reverse NRA together?
    I’m not saying it can’t work I’m saying neither side of this issue would be interested in straying from their ideology enough to get a critical mass of support. Mental health, gun control, etc. I also would hope you could just have news outlets pledge on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

Yeah, repubs keep blaming mental health but they sure as duck don't want to fund it.

9. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    So Trump tried to blame Florida on the Russia investigation, what a classy surprise.
    Can't expect any better from that idiot. So he says the FBI wastes too much time trying to prove Russian collusion? Please. It's not like the FBI is using all its staff on Russia.
    It's appalling how he exploits the MSDHS tragedy. His thoughts & prayers mean next to zero.
    Just now, Trump claims to support the Fix NICS act, which strengthens the background check system on gun buyers. Should've been sooner. Even then, Fix NICS doesn't close loopholes or make the checks more comprehensive.

Loopholes don't really exist.