Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6891011121424 ... LastLast

Thread: The Thoughts and Prayers thread. Brought to you by the NRA

I'm doing my part. What the hell is wrong with the rest of you?

2. I think he means boycott news. That won’t work these stories are too good. It would have to be a psychological or social pressure.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

Americans like it. They like to be scared. They like the mystery. They like how their pov makes them feel like they belong to a larger group.

They can't abstain. They can't leave those feelings alone.

And the news knows this and cashes in. That's why they give so much airtime to speculation and so little to solutions. They aren't in the business of fixing problems. They're in the business of making you think that an ever lurching apocalypse is on the horizon and you better leave the news on.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    The few that haven't committed suicide have admitted that much? Didn't the guy that did the mass shooting in Australia that got most guns banned there all but admit that he did it as a copy cat and to get attention?

Also, yeah, so gun control is going to stop this personality type?

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/lat...ant-Isaac-Reed
    Maybe not. If guns were kept away from him, he'd probably resort to other means.

I don't buy tabloids. What they say is often not fully true, or not the whole truth. Fuck the National Enquirer especially. Their "catch & kill" trick is dirty. Someone sells a story to them, then they put an draconian exclusive rights clause in the contract. BAM! They bury it. I doubt that it's just the National Enquirer, there's a chance the others use C&K tactics as favors for their respective friends.

5. So Trump tried to blame Florida on the Russia investigation, what a classy surprise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

6. Yeah, what a guy.
    Are we surprised that people use AR15s to shoot people? That's even less transparent than tobacco shops selling bongs. It's your right to own it, but don't you dare use it.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

7. You don't boycott the news, you go after the advertisers. You do the same exact thing religious idiots do to force change or get people fired. Start a small business/not for profit with a catchy name, and then letter bomb advertisers stating that you're going to boycott their products unless they stop advertising during news shows that feed into these murderer's agendas. It literally takes hundreds of people, not millions.

8. and that's what I think about that

9. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Americans like it. They like to be scared. They like the mystery. They like how their pov makes them feel like they belong to a larger group.

They can't abstain. They can't leave those feelings alone.

And the news knows this and cashes in. That's why they give so much airtime to speculation and so little to solutions. They aren't in the business of fixing problems. They're in the business of making you think that an ever lurching apocalypse is on the horizon and you better leave the news on.
    There’s something debasing and human about these incidents. I often wonder if there’s a kind of sacrificial admiration we take from these stories. At any rate people won’t boycott. It’s a nice idea but Columbine doesn’t really inform my purchase decisions when I’m grocery shopping.

Maybe some kind of direct pact from the major news outlets for better scoop access to politicians or something. The 24/hr need cycle would make it harder but I think it could be done.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 19 Feb 2018 at 11:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

No one wants to change. They just want the other guy to change.

So nothing will be done until one group gets enough power to force the other group to change.