Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 23456818 ... LastLast

Thread: The Thoughts and Prayers thread. Brought to you by the NRA

1. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Or if Trump actually bans abortion.
    Let's hope not, since in that case illegal back-alley abortionists with their unsafe methods could likely show up everywhere.

2. Dr. Rusty Hooke's Back Alley 'Bortion Shack is back in business, baby!

People laugh but when my grand dad was a doctor, there would be areas in southern hospitals dedicated to women recovering from that shit. There is no telling how rampant it was because a lot of it was billed as other stuff to protect the image of women and families involved.
    Last edited by Fe 26; 16 Feb 2018 at 01:05 PM.

I know no one on the left wants to consider it but could we try armed guards? Just one? With strict regulations? Like the guard can be convicted of murder if he ducks up and shoots a rando?

People want to say that there is only one common thread, but there is actually 2. All of these guys are picking places that they know 100% can't fight back. Schools, churches, concerts, these are all known gun free zones.

Can we put at least one well trained guy at each school? Something to make these nuts reconsider?

Imo, it feels like neither side wants to admit the world has changed. No one wants to compromise. They want the other side to give up things while their life doesn't change at all.

6. Why has the world changed?
    When I was a kid we never locked our doors, be it the house or the car.
    We never had a police officer stationed at the school.

There were certainly opportunist thieves back then. But our stuff was never stolen. There'd be fights at the schools, but no one was ever stabbed or shot. I live in the same general area I grew up in. Why have things gotten worse in 30 years?
    What has happened to the world that even when we're slowly progressing to be more inclusive and accepting, the general public is becoming more selfish and less empathetic?
    I know what my Fundamentalist mother would say. Is that just correlation and not causation?
    I don't know.
    Looking at video games, people had an issue with Mortal Kombat and Night Trap because of the slippery slope they present. Well, look at games now. The slope is clearly doused with grease of a Looney Tune consistency. Idiot parents are buying murder simulators and games full of sexuality for their kids under the premise of "it ain't nothing he ain't seen or heard before derp derp." Don't get me wrong, I don't think sexy or violent media create delinquent behavior. But I do think normalizing it makes it easier for people with a predilection towards such behavior maybe a bit more apt to engage in it.
    Have loosened morals helped or hurt society?

Maybe this belongs in bong hits, I don't know.
    But looking at the gun debate, lefties want them banned and taken away because a small amount of people are too stupid to handle/use them properly. Righties want drugs and open promiscuity taken away because a small amount of people are too stupid to handle/use them properly. Seems like both sides have issues they want contained because of the possibility of a minority of the population causing harm with them. If 1 person out of a hundred would use a nuke, then the rest of the 99 can't have one either. In the left's defense, I'm not aware of too many of them decrying guns and then going out on a murder spree (though a few instances can be dragged out of course), whereas the Right is often caught up in scandal concerning the things they preach out against.

7. 1) Don't show shooters on TV. Let them die in anonymity.
    2) Make guns look like big purple dildos.

I'm all for more gun control, but there's a serious culture problem far beyond that. We're in love with infamy.

8. 1) Monetized News ain't going to give up that easy revenue easily. It'd have to become a law, which it can't because of freedom of speech. So...

Media presence has increased.
    Population has gone up.
    Violence in media has gone up.

Actual violence and crime has gone down each year. But it doesn't feel like it because the population has gone up, so even if crime has gone down 25%, if you have 50% more people, it appears that crime has gone up 25%. Oh, and the media has made a business out of reporting the violence. Though I don't think the media of the past was morally better. I believe they didn't report a lot of the violence of the past because it was poor and minority people killing each other.

10. Unfortunately, I don't think it's a population issue - again, there are countries with far bigger population issues and it doesn't result in gun violence.

I was trying to theorize last night about what sort of cohort effect would have a hand in school shootings, but it's even a little difficult to find accurate, long term data about what age the school shooters are typically (56% under 18, the rest 21+ - somewhat negligible in numbers.) So, what happened in the last 21 years that would have a lasting impression on a potential shooter, and cause him to act? Our stratification has grown exponentially at this time - but would this have a direct or indirect effect on a shooter? It's been proven that economics have little effect on violent crime. (The only things that increase noticeably during this time are car thefts and drug use.)

The one thing that I could pin down is of course, technology. the internet. The rising accessibility of the internet during these past ~21 years has meant that there is a computer in every home, a phone in every pocket. Now, I'm not a luddite by any, any stretch of the imagination (obviously) but I am curious about the impacts of this much information and connection being available, and the lack of ACCURATE information on the subject. I don't believe in "internet addiction" any more than I believe in "car addiction" or "chair addiction." There will be individuals out there who are out of control no matter what the media. But, we do not offer any education in the field of internet usage at a young age. Even a library catalogue card system has a learning curve, and we learn(ed?) that when we were younger. (At least, we may have been the last generation to, not sure if kids are even taught it via computer anymore.)

If we are going to trust the internet with our jobs, economy, communication, entertainment, etc - we HAVE to teach it at a young age, and teach "browsing habits." About how to process the information we receive. About how to communicate with others digitally versus face-to-face. Because we're currently trusting the internet to self educate on crime, deviance, subculture, etc. The lack of honest, real information on this topic (internet education) is astounding. Obviously there's scholarly works - but what about basic internet skills in an elementary school curriculum, next to math, english, PE? I believe that this exponential rise in knowledge (for good and bad) via the internet is having a strong impact on children and young adults. Again - I don't advocate for taking away computers or phones, that's counterintuitive - but we NEED to stress that the internet is not just a toy you can put in the closet when you're done with it, and that it a tool that needs to have a basic manual when you're introduced to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread