Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 234568 ... LastLast

Thread: This Month's Haul: March 2018

1. The Turbo had a horrendous distribution around here. There was a hole in the wall furniture store selling it at markup in my old neighborhood (was kicked out with a friend for playing too much Legendary Axe on the demo unit). The Venture department store had a video kiosk for several months....yet they never sold or stocked any Turbografx goods at all. The local TRU only got in Turbo stuff as it was fading out and everything was dirt cheap.

One of the department stores had Tg16 systems at launch, but that was about it. I was like 9 at the time so I couldn't buy one. A few years later when I was mowing lawns for money they were nowhere to be found within bike distance.

Every Radio Shack and Compucentre I went to had TG16 games. These were stores in malls across Canada. The system still sold like shit, though. I had one place briefly I could rent TG games from.

Compucentre had a Devil's Crush competition in malls in 1990 as advertising for the TG16. I'm still looking for evidence of this online but haven't found any. I didn't win any prizes but my friend won a gift certificate.

Master System games were really easy to find in British Columbia and Washington State. The largest mall near me had six stores where I could buy them. It wasn't anywhere near as popular as the NES but in my neighbourhood, I knew several SMS owners.

In retrospect, I'm amazed I probably played 75% of the TG16 and SMS domestic libraries while they were current thanks to borrowing, trading, renting, and buying. There were some pretty good clearance sales in the later years of these systems' lives, too.
    Last edited by NeoZeedeater; 03 Mar 2018 at 01:12 PM.

My Sony sale haul:

Resident Evil 7
    What Remains of Edith Finch
    The Bridge
    Severed
    Icey
    Pix'n Love Rush
    Time Soldiers
    Nex Machina
    Enter the Dungeon

5. Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    Every Radio Shack and Compucentre I went to had TG16 games. These were stores in malls across Canada. The system still sold like shit, though. I had one place briefly I could rent TG games from.

Compucentre had a Devil's Crush competition in malls in 1990 as advertising for the TG16. I'm still looking for evidence of this online but haven't found any. I didn't win any prizes but my friend won a gift certificate.

Master System games were really easy to find in British Columbia and Washington State. The largest mall near me had six stores where I could buy them. It wasn't anywhere near as popular as the NES but in my neighbourhood, I knew several SMS owners.

In retrospect, I'm amazed I probably played 75% of the TG16 and SMS domestic libraries while they were current thanks to borrowing, trading, renting, and buying. There were some pretty good clearance sales in the later years of these systems' lives, too.
    We had a place called Floppy Joes in Plano. It was about a 10 mile drive from my Dallas apartment. I'd rent Amiga games from there, and they had TG-16 games for rent from there as well. I got my Turbo and the Turbo Booster (Boxed) from there for $20 each. They also had a billboard where members could post their items up for sale. It was a great store.

6. Nex Machina is dirt cheap on PSN... It is really good except, I think there is just way too much shit going on. I die constantly because I can't even see shit.

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    We had a place called Floppy Joes in Plano. It was about a 10 mile drive from my Dallas apartment. I'd rent Amiga games from there, and they had TG-16 games for rent from there as well. I got my Turbo and the Turbo Booster (Boxed) from there for $20 each. They also had a billboard where members could post their items up for sale. It was a great store.
    oh man, that is a great name for a store.

8. Opa Walking

Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    I didn't have this when the console was new but a few years later. (not my picture)

It's pretty awesome, uses all Happ parts from the 90s. The button layout is weird but thankfully the games I would use it in have editable button assignments.

I'll just chime in and say I also loved the NES Max and Advantage. I used the max for racing games on the NES all the time. I have 2 of the SNES Asciiware Fighter sticks, and one for the Genesis. They are fucking terrible, I may try and sell them at a local gamestore soon.
    that's gorgeous

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I loved the SMS pad. I much prefer the mushy d-pad over Nintendo's stiff thumb breaker.

This thing was an abomination though

The base is too small to comfortably hold, the stick too fat, and even though I'm left handed I couldn't stand the stick being on the right.
    oh my god yeah, i had 2 of these growing up & i think they're why im adaptive to shitty control setups sometimes, haha
    i mainly grabbed them because i never saw the rapid fire unit for sale on its own back then and i needed those to help me get to later levels in fantasy zone but still not the beat the fucking game
    http://backloggery.com/irishninja/sig.gif

9. Skull Girls Vita finally shipped. Overall nice package, dug the little cel they included. If you are brave enough to venture into Family Dollar they’ve had cheap games lately, a few oddballs I picked up. The Family Dollar in my town is next to the pawn shop I frequent. In past few weeks they’ve literally only been open 4 or 5 Days. It’s sobering to walk by prime capitalism and see it ground to a halt, though not surprising with the sad employment system of these places (and Dollar Tree, Dollar General, etc). On Saturday I took the family out of town and hit the nearby Disc Replay. Got a couple cheap complete DS games for my collection and saw Air Buster. Seen one of these at Disc Replay a month ago for $24.99, not a shock for a Genny shooter. In this case someone categorized it as Afterburner II so $7 for the joy of Genesis loading!

9E2E27A4-8D20-41B0-B707-0FAC44000F03.jpeg

10. I was considering buying a copy of "Service Games," but I thankfully decided to look it over on Google Books before buying. My god is this book chock full of errors. Dates are wrong, events are wrong. Did they even attempt to update this thing, or did they simply copy/paste all of Pettus' articles together and sell it? I'll keep my money, thanks.