Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Zelda: ALTTP Randomizer (and other Randomizers)

Hey I just wanted you let up guys know that now might not be the best time to give this a go. They just released a new version and it’s very buggy currently.

Here is a video of the updates.

I tried an insane difficulty entrance exit shuffler with keysanity yesterday. It was crazy. I dropped down uncle and found Ganon.
    Last edited by Cowutopia; 15 Mar 2018 at 09:36 AM.

I wanted to thank Pineapple and B-Ri for watching some of my latest match! There was an unofficial restream here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/254236842 (The video is in two parts) Thanks to Crowzone80 for providing awesome commentary!
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

Guys I am working on making an intro/guide video to Randomizer and I have a first draft of a script here. It's going to be a pain in the ass lol. If any of you want to know a little more about it or would like to help me edit this sucker down please give it a read.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
    Pete DeBoer's Tie

4. Mario But Every Time He Jumps There Is A Fart Noise
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

5. Did Link's uncle hear Zelda's telepathic plea at the beginning of the game? I always read it as she connected with Link and he woke up at the same time he saw his uncle leaving, and his uncle had some other undisclosed interaction.
    Also, is "lol joke lol" a stand in for a comedic cue?

So, here's my criticism. I think you spend too much time describing the plot of the game with specific events and place names. You could just condense the first page into a couple sentences like "Zelda III: A Link to the Past was Nintendo's return to the format of the original Legend of Zelda, after the sidescrolling Zelda II. Released in 1992 for the Super Nintendo (gush about some 16-bit technical details and sprawling epicness or something), and has set many standards that we see continue to be mainstays of the Zelda franchise to this day. The game starts on a rainy night, when Link is awakened from a dream by a disembodied voice calling for help. He follows his uncle to Hyrule castle, where he learns the Princess Zelda has been captured to be used in a magical ritual to bring the evil wizard Ganon back from his imprisonment in the Dark World. Link then goes on a quest for the Master Sword to defeat Ganon, which quickly becomes a much larger quest across both Hyrule and the mirror Dark World to find and defeat Ganon."

I think you also spend the majority of the script going over some specific details of playing the Randomizer, but I think as an intro you should give more emphasis to why someone would want to play it, why it's caught your attention so well and made you fall in love with the game again, and explain how it's audience overlaps with speedrunning and carved it's own niche in that community. I think the Required/Optional information is best conveyed with visual information like a map with icons, or bullet lists, etc, that I'm sure will be around on your final video. As it is, it's kind of an infodump that I think will mostly appeal to people who are already trying to play it with a speedrunning mindset. I think there are probably more high-level concepts you can focus on to gear it to people who are either going to be playing for the first time, or to explain some goals to a speedrunning audience so that they can follow along when they watch you or others play in a race. Emphasize the risks the runners are taking when they ignore an optional item to save time, that would also require them to perform a more difficult task later.

Anyway, I don't know if other people have made videos like that already and you're going for something different. I hope that's helpful feedback in some way.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

The point of the video is to give enough explicit information for beginners to follow along. The required item list is going to be read out with cuts to video of the items being used in the locations.

Maybe I can split the video into two parts, follow your idea for part 1 and put the more intricate detail in part 2.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie

I'm finally on a restream tonight at 10pm, full presentation treatment with commentary @ speedgaming3 https://www.twitch.tv/SpeedGaming3

Of course I had my worst night of practice in forever.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie