Page 1 of 9 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Things Kids Today Won't Get To Experience

1. Things Kids Today Won't Get To Experience

With the news of Toys R Us going out of business, there's been lamentations from adults expressing how they feel bad that kids won't know what it's like to walk into a store devoted solely to toys.

Well, there's lots of things modern kids don't get to experience that we did. Some of them are probably good that they're gone. But that's what this thread is for.

I was reminded of one such thing this morning when the local news mentioned ski conditions at Song Mountain.
    Using context clues, you've probably soused out that Song Mountain is a ski resort. But when I was a kid, it was a ski resort and so much more. Here's a commercial from 1990.

It had water slides, go karts, and ALPINE SLIDES!

We only went there a few times when I was a kid, but god damn were the alpine slides a kind of exciting my nine year old self had never before experienced. Song Mountain closed their slides down years ago, and looking around the internet it seemed like everyone did. But I guess there were some around as recently as 2014 and maybe some still are somewhere. I imagine the insurance liability has to be insane for this stuff though which is why they've dried up.

Anyway, please share shit that was cool as hell, but for whatever reason has passed on.

2. Your mom.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

3. I remember going to a place somewhere around Gatlinburg TN as a kid that had those alpine slides. It was amazing and I never saw another one again, I don't think there were any left in Ohio by that time (early to mid 90's).
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster (PC), Let's Build a Zoo (PC) & Despot's Game (PC)

Get Free Bitcoins every hour! - www.freebitco.in

4. I can see why the mountain sled might not have been a good idea, kind of like when we had Lawn Darts. You can't buy real Lawn Darts anymore, because of the liabilities of it hurting someone. There is a company that found a work around to selling the illegal Lawn Darts of old.

This comment below the article is both hilarious and sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor
    I wish I was alive when lawn darts were popular...

On a side note Javelin throwing in Highschool track is banned in my state because someone way back whenever didn't have good aim and killed someone else...
    Last edited by gamevet; 18 Mar 2018 at 01:14 PM.

5. Yeah, I remember having contests with my friends- see who could throw a lawn dart straight up in the air the highest.
    We're lucky none of us dumb asses killed or seriously injured ourselves, because bonus points if you caught it on the way back down.

I can't imagine the courtyard smoking section (for students) still exists at my former high school.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing but it's a big change.
    Last edited by NeoZeedeater; 18 Mar 2018 at 01:34 PM.

7. Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    I can't imagine the courtyard smoking section (for students) still exists at my former high school.
    The switch from smoking sections to a world that completely shuns smokers is still kinda weird to me. I was walking in the rain the other day, and someone was smoking a cigarette, and like all these memories flooded me at once. It was so weird that it was so prevalent and now it’s almost taboo to smoke.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Timber View Post
    I remember going to a place somewhere around Gatlinburg TN as a kid that had those alpine slides. It was amazing and I never saw another one again, I don't think there were any left in Ohio by that time (early to mid 90's).
    probably ober gatlinburg

https://obergatlinburg.com/

Alpine slide still seems to be there

https://obergatlinburg.com/activity-rates/

I'm telling you guys, TNL meet up at gatlinburg

9. There’s a Alpine Slide in Galena, Illinois. Love taking the kids there. I actually feel sorry for smokers these days. Granted I hate the habit but telling a person to stand 10 feet from a building or go to their car seems unjust. The days of smoking lounges was just nasty from the cleaning standpoint you shouldn’t be caned for already being outside.

From the past conversations here:

Arcades not full of redemption games or are part bar. There is what, 10 arcades like this still in the US? Honorable mention is showbiz pizza at its height.

Shoney's. It appears that 75% of these are gone or have been turned into Denny's. They were at the top of chain diners in my childhood. The reheated $15-$23 meal places of Chilis, Applebees, Outback, Rubytuesdays, TGIF, etc pushed them out of that cheap fast family dining market. My mother used to take us there a lot with her mother who is no longer with us. They had an all you could eat breakfast buffet. And a spaghetti plate that came with little fried shrimps. There was a fake tree at the front that had free suckers for kids.

Also, as mentioned, yeah smoking has really changed. There used to be a huge cigarette vending machine between the bathroom doors at Shoney's. I still remember being swatted by my mother for always yanking on the buttons while the adults went to the restroom.

I remember distinctly that there was a smoking section at Shoney's and that they sold alcoholic drinks (we never sat over there though). So you could have lit one up, had a beer and had all you could eat bacon and eggs. Not sure how that still isn't going strong (I do, the reheaters have spent a lot on marketing).