Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12346 ... LastLast

Thread: Things Kids Today Won't Get To Experience

1. Freedom. When I was a kid I played around a old quarry making bike trails, explored caves, roamed free morning to night. It feels like anymore the gray area where a pissy neighbor or upright citizen will throw DHS at you has broadened. Because non-stop adult supervision is healthy to child development.

A more vague idea, and something I talked about with Dog$ and ARBM in notChicago is the loss of nonwillful ignorance for kids, the mystery of shopping and trips.

Like, you couldn't look anything up. It was possible to go on a trip with your parents and be taken by surprise. Like you might go to a store with games once every couple months, maybe even once every year. And you'd be surprised. There would be something you didn't know about, especially if you didn't have multiple magazine subscriptions. There would be music, games, comics, movies etc you didn't know about. If you went on vacation there would be tons of surprises. Like does anyone remember how hard nick and Disney pushed their parks on TV in the 90s? You'd see just glimpses for your kid day dreaming pleasure. Then when you got there everything would be amazing and surprising.

Its not that way now if your kid knows how to work a smart phone. They can google a game list for every console. They can watch someone beat every game. They can see the covers of comics before they are out and read reviews of that issue. The same with movies and amusement parks. They can google the ride list and read reviews and look at pictures of the rides.

A child (or adult) can see and spoil just about anything they want to do via the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Low View Post
    Freedom. When I was a kid I played around a old quarry making bike trails, explored caves, roamed free morning to night. It feels like anymore the gray area where a pissy neighbor or upright citizen will throw DHS at you has broadened. Because non-stop adult supervision is healthy to child development.
    Oh yeah, I had this too. My dad at one point got an old farm house with a lot of forest land behind it after he graduated. I used to wonder around in those woods all the time. I still vaguely remember playing in brooks, fallen down cabins and these weird ant beds that were 4 or 5 feet tall.

Far less normal was the club house my dad made us. He purchased an old bus at an auction and gutted it and we used to play in that too.

4. A real life Stand By Me?

Growing up in small town in Montana, we often hike through the woods around the town. There was an old mining site less than a mile from my house. We also had a creek on the other side of the woods that we'd ride our bicycles over to and swim.

5. I lived in a town, but there was a huge wooded area across from where my best friend lived. I've mentioned it before, but we'd spend hours building a fort in there, then other kids would raid it for shit to build their fort with, and we'd do the same.

My house (mostly obscured by the trees we had in the yard) is circled in red, his house in blue, and the woods in yellow. I have no idea why it was never developed into anything. Just a big old woods in the middle of town.
    Untitled.jpg

My dick.

i would hope so.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    The switch from smoking sections to a world that completely shuns smokers is still kinda weird to me. I was walking in the rain the other day, and someone was smoking a cigarette, and like all these memories flooded me at once. It was so weird that it was so prevalent and now it’s almost taboo to smoke.
    I still remember when my dad used to send me to the restaurant lobby to buy him a pack from one of these:

9. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    I still remember being swatted by my mother for always yanking on the buttons while the adults went to the restroom.
    I think every kid did this. And slap the joystick to an arcade cabinet as you walked by. It just had to be done.

10. Alpine Slides are few and far between but they're out there. The new ones are made of metal instead of concrete that's engineered more like rollercoaster track. I don't think the carts can derail.

Pigeon Forge, TN has a pretty new one, the lift hills take longer to go up than to go down the rest of the course. Park City, UT...whatever Action Park in NJ is called now might have one.
    Last edited by Rumpy; 18 Mar 2018 at 06:01 PM.