Page 1 of 11 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: When I Am King...

1. When I Am King...

If you were in charge of the country, what reasonable changes would you like to implement? I’ve a bunch of them. Here’s one.

Drivers must take a road test every ten years. My first thought was to revoke the license of anyone that didn’t pass. But that would cause quite a disruption if a swath of people could no longer commute. So then I thought maybe you don’t lose your license, but your score is put on your record so that insurance companies can use that info they way they do your ticket/accident history. I finally put together what I think is a reasonable plan. Road test every ten years. If you score below a generously low threshold, you’re license is suspended no less than 2 weeks and then you can retest. If you score above that threshold but below “pass” insurance companies can use that info to increase your policy. If you pass, everything’s kosher for a decade. The current road test fee is discounted 20%.

A vehicle is probably the second highest non-education based expenditure the average person will make, yet so many persons drive like assholes risking not only their vehicle but mine. I think this will help lower the amount of stupid fender benders while pushing more of the insurance cost on those that cause the accidents in the first place, without resorting to privacy infringing crap like those dongles they’ll have you plug into your car to track your driving.

Also, in before “kick out all (fill in the blank).”
    Last edited by Some Stupid Japanese Name; 23 Mar 2018 at 11:43 AM.

2. Saw thread title, got Paranoid Android stuck in my head. Not the worst way to start a weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

3. GTFO with this entitled bullshit.
    If you can't drive properly, take the fucking bus and stop putting other people's lives in danger.

4. I would say every 10 years from under age 55, 55-75 every 5 years, 75+ every year.

5. I thought about quickening the pace for the older crowd, but we'd weed most of them out when they're in their 60s anyway.

Not everyone has a bus available to take.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Saw thread title, got Paranoid Android stuck in my head. Not the worst way to start a weekend.
    Thread title edited to better accommodate your suggestion.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Not everyone has a bus available to take.
    Then they can move somewhere that has one, move closer to where they work, ride a bike, or walk.
    The same goes for drunk drivers who cause serious accidents.

8. I’m down with extremely harsh punishment for anyone that drives under ANY influence. Like, lose license and do time. Fuck just paying fines. Poor people get fucked, rich people brush it off.

9. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    I would say every 10 years from under age 55, 55-75 every 5 years, 75+ every year.
    every six months imo. I have been hit by so many old people who should not be driving. The last woman who did it i was going to go ballistic on and my husband had to step in. There wasn't any damage which is good but holy shit i have been hit 3 times by old ass people who clearly could not see nor hear with any great capacity. In the case of the most recent one, she was belligerent that she hit us, though we were at a complete stop behind her for more than a minute, and she backed up without even looking. (It would have been impossible to miss us if she actually took the time to look before backing up.) But yeah, every old person needs to be rigidly tested for driving capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

Old people and teenagers are my biggest annoyance when traveling during the Holidays. They are the worlds worst about getting in the left lane and trying to pass when you come onto an on ramp and want to get over for someone else to come on.

I really do not get it. The worst ones get in my blind spot. I drive a full size Ford Econoline E350. I could totally obliterate them if I didn't see them or was forced to come over by the guy coming on. Get the fuck out of that lane around on ramps. Shit!

And its always around Christmas and Thanksgiving when these people get on the highway in packs.