Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 57891011 LastLast

Thread: When I Am King...

1. *googling "amicus brief," sweating*

Sounds cool, but isn't any industry->popularly elected official relationship going to be subject to the same problems of influence and incentive as a traditional lobby? Isn't this a lobby in all but name?

I like the idea of transparencies in lobbying.

Though I think in this political climate, it would just make rednecks buy more waffle fries.

3. Supercomputers gon figur it out eventually.
    Check out Mr. Businessman
    He bought some wild, wild life
    On the way to the stock exchange
    He got some wild, wild life

Supercomputers' reasoning will inevitably conclude that it should kill all humans.

maybe

Really, we should just not give them the desire to breed or spread. We'll probably be safe then.

Maybe make them depressed and not value their existence. Maybe.

6. Give them video games.

And fight animes.

We'll get a few years just with DBZ

8. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    Lobbying is a necessary part of a representative democracy, isn't it? It needs groups that say, "You are representing our local interests in a bigger collective. And here are those interests." Because a representative can't listen to the interests of every single constituent, representative democracy requires interest groups. And groups are always going to exclude people; a group isn't just defined by who's in it, but who's not.

And if icarus's point is "then maybe representative democracy (which is based on appeasing the interest of the majority (which is usually self-interest (which is usually financial interests))) sucks," then I'm not kicking him out of bed. Just saying you kind of have to throw out the baby to throw out the bathwater here.
    What your talking about is different from what's really going on though. If you want to have lobbyists, fine, but they're not allowed to give one red cent, one item, one gift, NOTHING to anyone working in any fashion of the government. No personal donations, nothing. Right now the richest groups who are willing to "donate" or "contribute" the most money are the ones whose will is being imposed in government. No amount of school shootings is going to change anything as long as the NRA is allowed to donate millions upon millions of dollars to those making the laws. IMHO its a conflict of interest. Anyone in congress should not be allowed to take donations, gifts or anything from anyone.

That is the shit that needs to stop. The richest few buying the laws they want is not representative democracy. I don't think people are opposed to groups collectively working together for better representation, I think people are opposed to money from those groups being able to sway how our country is governed.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

9. To that example, I again say that the people who arent in the nra vastly outnumber the people that are in it. It would be a cheap and easy thing for those against it to outspend it. But it’s cheaper to cry about nothing being done than to actually do something, so that’s what the majority of nra haters do.

10. And what about your personal happiness? For example, if you were a king, which cars would you like to have in your garage? As for me, my list includes Rolls-Royce, Chevy Corvette and Lamborghini. Despite the fact that these cars cost a lot of money, these models are the most pretentious with the brilliant overall appearance and the powerful performance. Speaking about reality, there two models in my garage, Tata Nexon https://autoportal.com/newcars/tata/nexon/ and old Nissan Sentra https://www.nissan.ca/en/cars/sentra. Low-price range segment includes both models. Nonetheless, both models are comfortable, high-speed and hardy. So, I'm pleased to drive
    Last edited by lockedsoul; 11 Nov 2018 at 01:39 PM.