Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: God of War (PS4)

1. God of War (PS4)

I think a number of us are playing this now so it seems like it would be a good idea to break it out into its own thread.

I'm not too far in, just recently hit the second world, but it's pretty impressive so far. The combat doesn't quite feel the same and isn't quite as good as before but the interaction with the son is actually pretty great and he is amazingly useful in combat.

The single shot conceit of the game is really interesting and not something I've ever seen done before in a game. Not sure if it'll retain its appeal for the whole game but it's really cool so far. I wish they could have figured out a way to reset you back to a checkpoint after death without loading though to make the entire game into a single shot.

So who else is playing and what are your thoughts so far?
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

2. After spending some more time with it this weekend, I'm not entirely certain what to think. Like Joust, I miss the chainblades, and it just doesn't really feel like a God of War game. I also feel like they lifted all their favorite parts from the best games of the last few years. It's definitely taken some combat cues from Dark Souls / Bloodborne, and a whole LOT of stuff from The Last of Us. Its still a phenomenal game, I'll see it through to the end, but I think the hype blew this one up a bit.

3. Yeah I feel like the combat is trying to be both dark souls and the original god of war and it ends up not being as good as either.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

4. I haven't played it yet, but I've watched quite a bit, and it doesn't look like Dark Souls at all. Most of the fights involve managing crowds. Throwing an ax at a dude, punching another dude, then calling the ax back to hit a third dude with with the its return flight is exactly the kind of situation Dark Souls discourages; Dark Souls rewards you for avoiding situations in which you might have to consider more than one thing at a time. That kind of dynamism is much more GOD HAND than Dark souls. That's why I really want to play this game.

5. The souls feel is more the slower attack speed of Kratos, it's not like the original games where you were doing huge combos, the axe feels a bit more plodding.

6. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    I haven't played it yet, but I've watched quite a bit, and it doesn't look like Dark Souls at all. Most of the fights involve managing crowds. Throwing an ax at a dude, punching another dude, then calling the ax back to hit a third dude with with the its return flight is exactly the kind of situation Dark Souls discourages; Dark Souls rewards you for avoiding situations in which you might have to consider more than one thing at a time. That kind of dynamism is much more GOD HAND than Dark souls. That's why I really want to play this game.
    Jackie Chan of War

7. I'm waiting (will restart) until my new 65inch HDR TV comes ;o

8. Exactly!

9. The small text issue is real, confirmed.

10. I really like for a game to require me to dial my inputs at the correct time, not just mash buttons.

I've never played a God of War game, but I love Dark Souls. Is there reason for me to be interested in this one?
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!