Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: God of War (PS4)

1. I'm going to post a spoiler here. Anyone who wants to can read it but if you want a pleasant surprise later on in the game then don't read it. You get the Blades of Chaos about 10 hours into the game. Or at least I did, after doing a bunch of story missions and not too many side quests.

2. I'm kind of mixed on the game. I enjoy the lore, and the world building that is going on. Along with the overall story but the combat is annoying, and the puzzles really aren't challenging enough to really be called puzzles. The combat is the big thing that kind of pushes me away from the game. I find myself getting pulled into it by the story/lore/exploring and then I'll have 2 or 3 combat segments and suddenly just want to turn the game off.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

That's weird for God of War. The game really looked very promising but I'm in it for the gameplay first.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

4. The combat is kind of shitty initially until you get further along and unlock more skills, it's gotten better but it's still not as great as previous.

I do recommend switching to classic controls though, attacks on square and triangle feel a lot better.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

5. I'm enjoying this game so far (about 7 hours in), but it sure as hell feels bloated with RPG like elements. Games these days seem to go with the more is better approach, when I'm really looking for simplicity out of an action game like God of War. I really dislike spending my time crafting weapons/armor, then equipping each one with a different trinket....and figuring out how to juggle my XP, money, and materials to decide whether to unlock a new skill or craft an item. I've had to sit through an unknown plethora of crafting and equipping tutorials, while trying to read a 4 point font. Then the game seems bogged down by an inane side quests that I just want to ignore, but I can't because I might miss out on items I need for crafting. Whatever happened to just making a nice, linear, 10-15 hour adventure game?

The battle system is great, because I like how it gives you numerous ways to dispatch the enemies with your axe/shield/fists. If you get really creative, no two fights have to turn out the same. That being said, I still prefer the old battle system.

When it comes down to it, I honestly think this game feels most like playing the Tomb Raider reboot, using Thor's hammer as a weapon, with some sprinkles of Last Guardian like puzzles that require you to use your AI buddy.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    it just doesn't really feel like a God of War game.
    I kind of think that's part of the idea. The character and series had run their course, and it was time to hit the reset button. This is way more appealing to me than yet another like the last 7 or so.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    I kind of think that's part of the idea. The character and series had run their course, and it was time to hit the reset button. This is way more appealing to me than yet another like the last 7 or so.
    I agree, but they could have just started with a new franchise. Calling it GoW when it doesn't play anything like it is kinda stupid. I am holding out until it is under $20, I am not buying the hype.

Looking for classic gameplay? Play Doom again lol

9. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    I agree, but they could have just started with a new franchise. Calling it GoW when it doesn't play anything like it is kinda stupid. I am holding out until it is under $20, I am not buying the hype.
    It's still kind of anchored in that character and those ideas, though, it just goes a very different direction with them. I'm still very early but so far I like it a lot better than past GoW games. The triggers to attack conceit is tough to get used to, but it makes sense, since it frees up your thumb to move the camera.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 26 Apr 2018 at 07:21 AM.

10. I don't mind the change in gameplay, and I like that the story is continuing Kratos' life in an interesting way. My main issue really is just with the combat. The more I think about it, the more I feel it just frustrates me. I wish I had been capturing during some of my gameplays because I really feel like quite a few hits didn't actually touch me. Things I know I'm dodging are 1 hit killing me. If these attacks have a field of damage around them it should be presented better. I just find that on tougher enemies, I end up playing the long game. Just keeping back as far as I can and peppering them with arrows and axe throws.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.