Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puzzle Fighter Mobile (Rest In Peace 7/31)

1. Yield Puzzle Fighter Mobile (Rest In Peace 7/31)

Puzzle fighter came to iOS and Android late last year. Capcom has already announce that they are discontinuing the game, so it will not be around for much longer. This has become my most-played game since November when I installed it, so I wanted to bring some attention to the game in a dedicated thread.

First, it's free! If you like the idea of head-to-head puzzle games, you gotta give it a try.
    Second, it's not classic Puzzle Fighter. This is the biggest hurdle getting into the game for fans of the original. The mechanics of this game focus more on building blocks than breaking blocks, and so the dynamic of the game is very different.
    Third, the game was a critical dud and Capcom is already killing it. The game already has disabled in-app purchases, and will be removed from app stores on 7/1. The servers will continue to work until 7/31.

So, I know what you're going to say. Yes, the game looks bad compared to classic Puzzle Fighter. Yes, the gameplay has changed. Yes, the game revolves around loot boxes. For the first week I played this game, I was disappointed and didn't see myself continuing to play, but eventually it clicked.

Any pay aspect in this game is for unlocking characters, or to level up characters for the leaderboard. The main focus of the game is to increase your Rank Points, and your character levels up based on skill cards you collect from winning matches. Ranked matches can be against players of any level, provided they have similar rank points. Good players have taken smurf accounts well into the Gold leagues, so skill does trump levels. In the higher leagues, games get close, and you can't really deny it. The top of the board is those who have played a lot to get both levels and skill.

Luckily, since launch, the developers have unlocked an Event Mode that is now completely free, where you play max level matches against everyone in the game. The game will match you up with other players who have a similar win record as you in the current event, so as you win you will face harder players. The events go to 12 wins, with a 3 loss elimination. There are two persistent events, one with standard Mobile gameplay, and one with Classic overstack, where the first to overstack loses. You are also free to play on-the-fly matches with people on your friends list, and these can be max level, as well. So there is plenty you can do in this game without even thinking about your levels.

The gameplay should be familiar if you have played classic Puzzle Fighter. You match colored blocks to build bigger blocks, then connect an orb to remove the block from your screen. The amount of blocks cleared is then dumped on your opponent's board according to your character's drop pattern. This version of the game changes this up by dealing damage to your opponent's health bar by using your character's unique skills. Each character has two active skills. Each skill will match up to a specific block pattern, such as a 2x2. When you crash a block that is 2x2 or larger, then that skill activates and you deal the determined damage. Other skill shapes can be larger for more damage. You also pick one assist character per skill, and they will either add damage or some other status effect to the skill. There is also a unique affinity bonus for your main character that is determined by the assigned affinity colors of the assist characters. When you break a skill with the color of your affinity, you get the bonus.

This ends up playing out wildly different from classic Puzzle Fighter, but there is still a lot of depth to all the configurations you can make with different characters having different HP amounts, drop patterns, affinity bonuses, and skill shapes. You can pick Blanka, who has a lot of health but deals smaller damage, and take your enemy out by interrupting them. Or you can play servbot, who has very little health, but can win with only a couple attacks if you are fast to build them. Or you can play M Bison, who hits very hard, but requires you take care to make a huge gem while also giving the opponent a very easy-to-counter drop pattern. With all of the options available, you get to play in a lot of different ways, and the health pool means that you never get caught in a long game.

There is a surprising amount of depth to this game, more than I initially went into it expecting, and I don't want you guys to miss out on this game if you've already been sleeping on it. Give it a shot if any of this ranting seemed interesting to you. There are also some really great tutorial and high-level gameplay videos at the Fuzzle Pighting YouTube channel, as the ingame tutorials are really not great.

Instead if thinking of the game as ending, think of it as having a limited chance to enjoy a really solid mobile game.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

Good riddance.

3. The pay to win stuff, even more than the Commercial for a Local For-Profit Technical Institute art, really killed this game for me. It could've been a cool sequel on a proper platform; you can still see its soul under all the garbage.
    Last edited by A Robot Bit Me; 24 Apr 2018 at 09:16 PM.

4. Maybe someday some kid will rip all the assets out of it and turn it into an actual game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

5. Why didn't they just port and sell the original? That's what dumbfounds me.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

6. Not as many middle men get paid.

7. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    Why didn't they just port and sell the original? That's what dumbfounds me.
    Because flat rate games don't make money on mobile. The mobile market has demonstrated time and time again that it would rather put $20 into a FTP game a buck at a time than spend $10 outright to get the same amount of content. I'm not exempting myself, either. The thought of paying $10 or $15 for the (fantastic) Final Fantasy Tactics mobile port is disgusting, but I'd probably pay $20 or $30 for the same exact game on Switch or Vita. At the same time, I've probably spent $20 on the F2P Dandy Dungeon, a game I definitely wouldn't have bought for $20.

I'm really, really glad Switch is doing well. I confess I thought real portable games would die with the Vita and 3DS.
    Last edited by A Robot Bit Me; 25 Apr 2018 at 01:30 AM.

8. I must be the only person who buys mobile games and hates freemium.
    People bitched about Mario Run, but it makes no sense to me. The game gives you a shareware sized chunk with no ads, and you can buy the full game for $5 on sale.

I've been looking for a decent timed-meter golf game on mobile for years, and the only one that looked promising got removed and re-launched as freemium bullshit.

9. To hell with freemium games. Having ads or a limited number of credits per day (unless you buy extras) is annoying.
    Mario Run does the right thing with its "try a bit of the game, buy the full game if you like it" idea.

10. Fuck mobile.