Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Youtube Channels Devoted to Film Discussion/Criticism.

1. Youtube Channels Devoted to Film Discussion/Criticism.

Until a year ago, I was completely ignorant of Red Letter Media's Plinkett reviews and movie talk show Half in the Bag. I've long since watched everything they've done. While I agree with their points more often than not, I like that even when they're at their dumbest, lowbrowiest, they still have something interesting to say. I think this was one of the first, if not the first thing of theirs I saw. I think it's pretty great.

Until a month ago, I was completely ignorant of Lindsey Ellis body of work. I'm working on watching everything she's done. While I agree with her points more often than not, I like that even when she's at her manhatingiest (I don't really think she's a manhater, just trying to stick with the gimmick), she has something interesting to say. This was one of the first, if not the first thing of hers I saw. I think it's pretty great.

What channels do you think are pretty great? Be sure to like this post and comment below. Also, if you'd like to see content like this thread continue be sure to check out my patreon.

2. I'm glad you're enjoying Lindsay's work. She's one of the best I've come across on YouTube, really. There really is a dearth of good content around popular film discussion. I have gone looking around specifically after I've watched something I found interesting, like Blade Runner or Video Girl Ai, and it's all very surface level "I liked the pretty colors" kind of commentary, or Nostalgia!

Speaking of nostalgia, though, I keep meaning to look at more of Channel Awesome's stuff, who Lindsay was producing content for. I have had fun watching their series Tamara's Never Seen, where this bubbly girl watches old movies (there's no way she's never seen them) and is just enthusiastic about it. This is the kind of banter I'd like to have coming out of a movie theater with a friend.

The only movie YouTubes I'm subscribed to are RedLetterMedia, Lindsay Ellis, and YourMovieSucksDOTorg. YourMovieSucks is more than I would probably like in extended doses. But he is pretty good about backing up observations that he makes about movies.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

3. yeahhhhhhh...not my cup o' tea.

4. I really enjoy Jeremy Jahns' channel. This review in particular is good/funny (at times).

Last edited by kingoffighters; 25 Apr 2018 at 06:58 PM.

5. This isn’t mostly isn’t film, but he does good analysis on film.

This one is all film and I like it.

"Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

6. Every Frame a Painting, This Guy Edits, and at least a couple more I can't remember. Those are probably all in Doc's vids that I will check out later.

I have mixed feelings about Lindsey Ellis's videos. She doesn't get good bad movies or shows. I've seen her hate on B grade movies for the exact reasons most people like them.

8. Her old Nostalgia Chick vids are very much a conclusion-first kind of a thing, shitting on nostalgic movies. Her recent stuff can come off Social Justice, but she actually does great talking around those points. I've been listening to the Feminist Frequency podcast (don't judge me!) and their commentary is basically "make a list of problematic things and say they're problematic."
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

Quote Originally Posted by cigsthecat View Post
    Every Frame a Painting, This Guy Edits, and at least a couple more I can't remember. Those are probably all in Doc's vids that I will check out later.
    This is the best shit but there hasn't been anything new in forever.

Tamara is a fucking liar and part of my eventual divorce settlement will include a paragraph about walking up and down the house ranting about the movies Tamara has never seen, why does she even want to act, then, and how it has to be bullshit.

I've been all about Red Letter Media since their Episode I review. Just don't watch Jack and Rich talk about video games. It's fucking awful.

I was also surprised by how good Lindsay Ellis is. I really don't like Jeremy Jahns and that braces Chris whatever dude is an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunlap View Post
    Her old Nostalgia Chick vids are very much a conclusion-first kind of a thing, shitting on nostalgic movies. Her recent stuff can come off Social Justice, but she actually does great talking around those points. I've been listening to the Feminist Frequency podcast (don't judge me!) and their commentary is basically "make a list of problematic things and say they're problematic."
    That's always been their thing. The argument was that it's what needed to be done to start the conversation but they're still doing it.