Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Long Songs (The Fe 26 Shitposting Challenge)

The king gizzard video is banned in the US

I don't really have much in my library longer than 21:12 except for a bunch of Fela Kuti jams and dj sets. I LOVE some of these sets though. But like, how long are we talking? I mean, Hearts Alive is 13:40. Babydoctor is like 14 minutes. So is Perpetual Change and that Husker Du jam. If we are talking the 13 minute range there are a lot of good songs that I have.

Super AE by The Boredoms is a pretty good album.
    Last edited by Cowutopia; 30 Apr 2018 at 06:34 PM.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

I've never heard dopesmoker despite loving stoner metal and smoking dope for years. WTF. The version history is fascinating, wish I just heard it live.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie

Why would you call this insincere? Clearly they smoked a lot of weed and played this song a lot about it. I don't really think it's very good though.

The whole On Patrol album by Sun Araw is very good. Sun Araw in general is very good. Belomancie is 80 mins long and many tracks exceed ten minutes.

So is Silver Lights by Coconuts. These are Hotline Miami soundtrack jams. Sorry, Dopesmoker reminded me of Silver Lights. But worse. I could listen to Silver Lights for 50 minutes. In fact, I have.
    Last edited by Cowutopia; 30 Apr 2018 at 07:29 PM.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie

So like, I messed up and read about Dopesmoker before I started listening. I haven't listened to the others yet. But so here's a question:

When someone gives you a music recommendation, do you typically do research or at least look them up, or "spoiler" it or get a movie-trailer sense of what you're about to listen to before you listen, or do you prefer to just dive in with no outside influence, only your own judgment as a guide?
    Pete DeBoer's Tie

PS Feedbacker is good.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie

6. There’s some IPian shit going on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowutopia View Post
    So like, I messed up and read about Dopesmoker before I started listening. I haven't listened to the others yet. But so here's a question:

When someone gives you a music recommendation, do you typically do research or at least look them up, or "spoiler" it or get a movie-trailer sense of what you're about to listen to before you listen, or do you prefer to just dive in with no outside influence, only your own judgment as a guide?
    I just look it up on youtube and listen. If I like them I might google info.

8. I edited my post and replaced the King Gizzard video with another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowutopia View Post
    Stuff Cow said
    I think that Dopesmoker was sincere, i think it's the tipping point where other (worse) bands were inspired by how bonged out and heavy it was and tried to run with that as their gimmick. I actually really like this song in all its repetitive glory.

As for music recommendations, unless there's specific song recommendations I will usually blindly listen to about 3 songs and go from there - I generally don't research bands or learn about them at all, I prefer music listening to be pure and separate from the egos that made it.

I'm about to go out but I'll check out your recommendations later.

9. I didn't think you were being literal when you said that Sun Araw and Coconuts songs were Hotline Miami jams. I dig them both, but had no idea what the songs were called or who did them though.

Word, Coconuts really only put out the one LP and I'm bummed about that but I'm still working through all the Sun Araw stuff. It never really hit me that it was like experimental dub wrung through psych rock until I saw the Congos collaboration.

Today I'm gonna do King Gizzard and The Cavern.

Icarusfall I listened to the stuff you put up too and I dig it a lot in that it's very visual landscape stuff, it really seems like it should be paired with a video game.

I also mentioned this but didn't post:
    Last edited by Cowutopia; 01 May 2018 at 08:46 AM.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie