Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Long Songs (The Fe 26 Shitposting Challenge)

1. Long Songs (The Fe 26 Shitposting Challenge)

I enjoy very long songs. I think when a song is unusually long, it forces you to listen to it in the present with very little awareness of what came before it or what will come after it. Long songs demand attention and are unapologetically difficult to listen to, which is admirable in a time when creativity is largely being driven by quantity, "content" and clicks.

This is a thread to share and celebrate long pieces of music.

Boris - Feedbacker

I love most Boris albums but I think that this is their masterwork. It takes you on an epic journey which showcases them at their droney, atmospheric, heavy and noisy best. I absolutely adore this.

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Nonagon Infinity

This album is one continuous piece of music that seemlessly loops from its end to its beginning, so you could technically say that it goes on forever (The above video has 5 loops!). It's relentlessly paced for a psyche rock record, you would usually expect this kind of speed and energy from a band like The Hives, which is why it's surprisingly catchy and accessible.

Inter Arma - The Cavern

Inter Arma are masters of flowing between different metal influences and sub-genres, so a song of this length gives them time to explore these different aspects at their own pace. This epic song that will reward you if you choose to listen to it in its entirety, its movements go from crushingly heavy to beautifully sparse and everything in between. Just fantastic stuff.

Sleep - Dopesmoker

You can't really make a thread about long songs and not list this one. I think most of you that would like this would have already heard it, it's over an hour of brutally heavy riffage. This is arguably the line where stoner metal/doom lost its sincerity and became a mostly monotonous genre that was more focussed on being bonged out black sabbath 420 yall than making creative and expressive music (not to shit on all of it, there's still good stuff in there too).

What are some long songs you enjoy? They don't have to be as long as these examples, these are pretty extreme lengths. I'd be really keen to hear some stuff from other genres too.
    Last edited by arjue; 30 Apr 2018 at 10:03 PM.

I used to play this a lot as a teen while playing Doom 2 and Quake

3. FREEBIRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

I've said so much about this song over the years, there isn't much more to say. It gets real at thirteen minutes and seventeen seconds.

Some Russians I think.

Arjue and Cheeks posted like half of the current playlist at the bar.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post

There is a station in Alabama that plays that every thanksgiving.

8. Then they are following Sharia law and shall be spared.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post