Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: And we wonder why NASA's space shuttle blew up.

1. They don't necessarily need more powerful computers, though. Some of these systems have very limited computational needs. Even if they were to modernize them, a micro-controller would be a more suitable replacement than a high performance computer.

2. They also mentioned 8” floppy drives. Those things could fail at anytime. And how old are the caps and voltage regulators on those boards?
    Last edited by gamevet; 04 Jun 2018 at 05:24 PM.

3. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Yeah, we all know why the 2 shuttles blew up, but it’s just the thought that what we thought of as advanced space technolgy, was anything but. We have drones with better computer tech onboard. That’s scary.
    We have calculators that have more power than the lunar landers, and we've had them basically since the 80s.

And ok, you know why they blew up. The last shuttle was retired in 2011. At that point the shuttles were 30 years old. Some of the tech was achingly antiquated when it was retired, but they don't go upgrading shit every year just because a new processor comes out. NASA uses what worked 5 years ago and uses the hell out of it.

At the time they were built it was advanced space tech, built with computer hardware they knew worked. And since that time tech has exploded. The Personal Computer. he cell phone. Then the smart phone.

66 years after the Wright Brothers first flight Apollo 11 landed on the moon. If enough focus is placed on one kind of technology for long enough humans can do some incredible shit.

4. I believe it goes to show just how little money is put behind the space program. They don’t keep using it just because it work. They do so because of the funds they have to work with. Scrapping together computer parts from salvage sounds pretty pathetic.

Would you get on a plane that has been flying since the 70s on used parts?
    Last edited by gamevet; 04 Jun 2018 at 07:20 PM.

5. Dude there are planes that have been flying since WW2, including passenger planes. Look up Buffalo Airways. Would I want that to be the norm? No absolutely not. But you are right NASA has been the redheaded step child ever since they planted the flag on the moon. Their excuse for existing stopped in many conservatives minds, and getting funding is like pulling teeth.

6. this is some lord perrin calibur shit.

7. Sometimes old tech just works. Equipment wears out, but if the design works, why change it?
    The Lee Enfield Mk III rifle has been in service since 1907. It's like a salt-water crocodile.

8. A rifle?

I've been servicing and installing networks for Morgan Stanley since the early 90s. Those cheap bastards were using a Token Ring network up until around 1996, when you could no longer find IBM Type 1 and Type 2 cable. They eventually went to an ethernet based form of Token Ring, before getting with the times and going full blown 100 Base T.

Quote Originally Posted by Error View Post
    Dude there are planes that have been flying since WW2, including passenger planes. Look up Buffalo Airways. Would I want that to be the norm? No absolutely not. But you are right NASA has been the redheaded step child ever since they planted the flag on the moon. Their excuse for existing stopped in many conservatives minds, and getting funding is like pulling teeth.
    WW2 planes don't have computerized navigation systems.

I saw one of these old B 24J Bombers land at Dallas Love Field about 6 months ago. It was rolling right back into the flight museum it came from. http://ktar.com/story/1529480/wwii-b...alley-airport/
    Last edited by gamevet; 04 Jun 2018 at 10:50 PM.

9. ok i'm done here.

10. I'll just leave this here. The Columbia was not damaged by a piece of ice. It was damaged by a large chunk of the foam layer that broke off of the large fuel tank. The computers on board the shuttle were incapable of the necessary monitoring to determine the extent of the damage.