Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hollow Knight (PC, Switch)

Hollow Knight (PC, Switch)

The Switch port for this was surprise-announced as completed during E3 so I picked it up. I was surprised to learn that it was a PC-only title up to this point. The port is excellent, feels right at home on the system. It's only $15 with all the DLC, which seems criminal. Double dipping on any physical release for sure.

The game is a fantastic Metroid-like with no elements brought over from the Castlevania series except arguably sword combat. The cartoony insect theme comes through really well with a really somber atmosphere. Been playing it blind and so far it's excellent. Feels great, looks great, and it's combat/health system has a really fun back and forth. Difficulty is just enough to make me pay attention.

My main reason for playing was that I heard people at work talking about how difficult it was. So spite, basically, and to be able to let them know how bad they suck at games compared to their boss.

Didn't see a thread for this around. Did anyone else play it on the PC or recently pick it up?
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

2. I enjoyed it a lot on PC and never played the DLC so figured what the heck, for $15 I'll take a switch copy. Haven't tried it out yet.

The game isn't that terribly hard in general but there are a few later bosses that are massive amounts of bullshit and did get me close to throwing the controller a few times.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

The game looks awesome but I can't justify the cost of a new PC or a Switch at the moment. This should have been on PS4 day one but it's nowhere in sight.

4. mzo, just make a series of videos showing us how to play it.

It was my favorite game I've played in the last year, and every time I play it I think that this is one genre that the modern indie devs really beat the classics on.

When I got my SNES Classic I was super stoked to play Super Metroid, but it was almost hard to go back to. I can't think of higher praise than that. Aesthetically, level design, gameplay, it delivers on every point.

6. I only put a couple hours into the PC version but it plays great and the atmosphere is lovely. Have been meaning to go back to it, just noticed a Switch version tonight and was tempted to get it for on the go.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    mzo, just make a series of videos showing us how to play it.
    I have to master it first! I feel like I'm pretty close to the end but it's bigger than I expected. It's like every time I get a new ability I go to check on some podunk hole in the ground and it leads to an entirely new zone.

I was originally against the way mapping is handled but it does force me to pay attention and learn each new area. Finding the map guy is almost an environmental puzzle each time.

8. I need a game to fill a gap in the Switch schedule, so I bought this based on this thread. Saving it for the Monday commute.

9. Looked this game up after reading about it here. Looks like my type of game so I’m downloading now. Looks like they priced it wrong at only $15.
    Korly-"Everyone here is an asshole, SURPRISE!"

I try not to do digital only but it's honestly a steal at $15. I think I have most abilities at this point and am just cleaning up the map.

Just put together an ability and an obstacle in my head and now I'm itching to try it out and see if it gets me past it. I swear there's like a nice, easy path through a lot of this and I took the asshole way through every time.