Thread: PS5 possibly the reason why Raja Kaduri left AMD.

1. PS5 possibly the reason why Raja Kaduri left AMD.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonev.../#3c96a16724fd

Quote Originally Posted by forbes
    No, Sony didn't counter Microsoft with a brief announcement of the PlayStation 5 at its annual E3 event, but some fascinating details have emerged about the PS5, its graphics solution and just how involved in the process AMD was this time around. This isn't just a story for eager console gamers, either. It's part of a larger narrative about AMD's identity and its semi-custom chip business.

Speaking to industry sources this week under conditions of anonymity, I've learned that the PS5 will use both AMD's Zen and Navi graphics architectures. What isn't clear is whether the PS5 will incorporate a beefy SoC (system on a chip) or use separate Ryzen and Navi-based components.

Right now little is known about AMD's Navi graphics architecture, other than the fact it will use the 7nm process. That detail, however, is important. As it has done numerous times with its semi-custom clients, AMD has a solid history of developing integrated and discrete GPUs with low power envelopes perfect for a console.

Which brings us to, in my eyes, the more interesting revelation. According to my sources, Navi isn't just inside the Sony PS5; it was created for Sony. The vast majority of AMD and Sony's Navi collaboration took place while Raja Koduri -- Radeon Technologies Group boss and chief architect -- was at AMD.

Koduri joined up with Intel late last year as chief architect for its new Core and Visual Computing Group.

But the collaboration came at the expense of Radeon RX Vega and other in-development projects. Allegedly, Koduri saw up to a massive 2/3 of his engineering team devoted exclusively to Navi against his wishes, which resulted in a final RX Vega product Koduri was displeased with as resources and engineering hours were much lower than anticipated. As I mention in my companion report, the implication is that AMD CEO Dr. Lisa Su wanted to devote more energy into its semi-custom business than its desktop graphics division.
    This is interesting news. AMD pulling resources behind the VEGA GPU, could of had a big impact on the performance of the Vega 56 and Vega 64.

2. It might have been smarter for them, but it sucks for me because the desktop competition would have been more welcome than a console that won't match what I will be playing 90% of my games on. Interesting story though.

3. I definitely get why AMD brass would want to chase the console deal at the expense of the PC market, and given that nVidia seems a bit slow on the draw this round, it's a missed opportunity. But let's face it: PS5 is going to sell tens of millions more than high-end graphics cards ever will.

4. Nvidia is slow on the draw, because AMD has nothing to push them to make the next big GPU. Their 10 series cards are still selling well too, because people that actually wanted a GPU for gaming can now afford to purchase one. Once sales slow down, they’ll bring out the 1100 cards.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    I definitely get why AMD brass would want to chase the console deal at the expense of the PC market, and given that nVidia seems a bit slow on the draw this round, it's a missed opportunity. But let's face it: PS5 is going to sell tens of millions more than high-end graphics cards ever will.
    No doubt. PS5 will probably be $400-450. For just Nvidia's GTX 1180 graphics card, I'd guess $500-650 with the Titan being 2 times that.

6. So can I mine crypto with it or what
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

7. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    So can I mine crypto with it or what
    That's over. People have gone back to Asics.

https://www.asicminervalue.com/