Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Was Your Saturday Morning Cartoon Routine?

1. What Was Your Saturday Morning Cartoon Routine?

Go here:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_United_States_network_television_schedules
    Click on a decade (preferably 80s or early 90s), click on the Saturday morning schedule and map out what you’d normally watch.

Spring ‘84 ( I was 7)
    Captain Kangaroo CBS 7am- 8 am
    The Monchichis/ Richie Rich ABC 8-9
    The Smurfs NBC 9-9:30
    Dungeons and Dragons (if my parents werent around, otherwise still Smurfs) ABC 9:30-10
    Smurfs NBC 10-10:30
    Alvin and the Chipmunks NBC 10:30-11
    Mr T NBC 11-11:30
    Incredible Hulk/ Amazing Spider Man NBC 11:30-12:30
    Thundarr the Barbarian NBC12:30-1
    Fat Albert ABC 1-1:30

2. OOOOOOOOO good record of stuff.

I can't remember 100% what my schedule was, though some memories circa 1993 seem to indicate that I'd start with The Little Mermaid on CBS at 8:30am, the Garfield, then switch over to Land of the Lost on ABC at 10am. Bugs Bunny at 10:30, Darkwing Duck (my MUST watch) at 11, but it's telling me that Saved By the Bell also was on at 11 which was another must watch. I wonder if one was a rerun I'd switch to another! I can't remember. By 93-94 I was watching Fox Kids almost entirely, but sometimes I'd switch to Sonic, Garfield or Land of the Lost. I *hated* The Tick and Eek the cat when I was younger - I have no idea why - but I loved Life With Louie!
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

But the Tick was mighty!

4. My memories of this start with Spring '87, Muppet Babies / Real Ghostbusters / Laser Tag.

I have never seen a second of Kissyfur in my life, but I remember the switch over from Real Ghostbusters to 'Slimer and the Real Ghostbusters' with the show becoming very annoying.

Fall '89 is where every single show was something I watched regularly. Watched a looooot of syndicated Woody Woodpecker / Mighty Mouse, too.

https://youtu.be/ecWhrlAZJPE
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

5. I used to put a glass of kool-aid in the freezer Friday night, and then eat it with a grapefruit spoon through Saturday morning.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

6. For network channels, I was usually just into the Fox Kids stuff (X-men, The Tick, Spiderman, Eek, Life with Louie, Batman) whilst trying (and failing) to wake up early enough to watch Sonic. If there was nothing on Fox and Ninja Turtles was on, I'd watch that.

Then when those shows cycled out, Fox Kids sucked for a bit until they got Digimon Tamers/Medabots/Escaflowne and I was watching again.

The vast majority of what I watched was syndicated or a paid channel like Disney/Nick/USA (we had one of those big satellite dishes). I remember catching WMAC Masters and Monster Rancher pretty much without fail.

oh yeah mother fucker, Huge stupid dish in the yard

8. Man, looking through this stuff, I was more into Saturday morning cartoons in middle/high school than I was when I was younger.

Late 80's, I only really watched Pee-Wee's Playhouse, Garfield and Friends, Real Ghostbusters, and A Pup Named Scooby-Doo with any regularity. I remember a lot of the other stuff as watching the title sequences and then becoming disinterested or flipping away. Muppet Babies in particular I couldn't stand past the theme song. I think I liked that Ed Grimley cartoon, but I really learned to appreciate it once they reran it on Cartoon Network late in the 90's.

Early 90's, I recall a lot of Camp Candy and Captain N distinctly. Fox Kids took longer than I remember to pick up. Around where Eek, Super Dave, and X-men debuted I went in hard on that block. That was aided by my local CBS and ABC affiliates taking a butcher knife to their lineup and opting to show local news and college football pregame shows in the late morning.

Then when Kids' WB premiered, I mostly hopped over there. I was a big Animaniacs fan (Wakko was actually my first online screen name), Freakazoid was great, Batman/Superman were fantastic (though I didn't really fully appreciate Superman at the time), Earthworm Jim and Road Rovers were very underrated. Later on, I tuned in for Batman Beyond and Men in Black, which was surprisingly well-done for a quick movie-to-cartoon conversion. Over on CBS, somehow Project G.eeK.eR. didn't fall under their axe, short-lived, but good stuff. I do recall watching a lot of Beakman's World, too. And Captain Simian and the Space Monkeys was syndicated on my local UPN, another gem practically no one knew about.
    Last edited by Bacon McShig; 24 Jun 2018 at 01:01 PM.

9. I have a hard time remembering which cartoons were on Saturday morning and which ones were before or after school on weekdays.

The only shows I can say for sure that I watched on Saturday were Kidd Video, Hulk Hogan's Rock 'n' Wrestling, and Pee-wee's Playhouse.
    And golf. Lot's of golf.

its a shame that Kidd Video is going to be lost to time because of all the video/song rights.

It was a parody of the 80s, early 90s, before that was really a thing. I think the kids that are currently eating up all this fake 80s shit would love it