Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 46789 LastLast

Thread: This Month's Haul: July 2018 Merica Edition.

1. GS is running the 4 for $20 for $9.99 under titles (and an extra 10-20% off if you have the reward card). Picked up a few decent titles for less than a Big Mac:

Wuppo (PS4)
    Mirror's Edge Catalyst (PS4)
    Deus Ex Mankind Divided (PS4)
    Sonic Ultimate Genesis Collection (PS3)

2. The fuck is a Wuppo?

I kind of miss the days of closed ecosystems where you could actually keep up with and be tangentially familiar with most of a system's library. The democratization of game development is a very fine thing in theory, but every release week piling another 20-some games onto your console storefront that have practically zero buildup or awareness is a hell of a market to breed any high incidence of success stories and breakout hits. I can only imagine the hellscape that Steam is for games that are trying to be noticed among the unrelenting churn of shit being constantly added.

Incidentally, I preordered one of these things with a chunk of money that probably could have put food on a lot of starved indie devs' tables. #sorrynotsorry

3. Wuppo is a cutesy platformer, but typical of indie games, it is tough. I like it, and at under $5, it is not much of a gamble.

Do a write-up on that home cab, I don't have a lot of confidence based purely on the price point, so I am curious if I am wrong.

4. I looked into the cabs. You assemble them yourself and they are only 4ft high so yeah... but they do look pretty neat as a novelty. Street Fighter would be the one I’d get. I’m sure the sticks are ass at that price though.

5. I got Ori, Just Cause 3 XL, Bulletstorm Full and Unravel 2 for my wife with my birthday money.

Happy birthday to my moogle brother! Aka I haven't posted in like 8 years lol

6. Happy Birthday to you too bud! You should come back more often!

7. Yeah, Happy Birthday!

I'm glad I waited on Sonic.

Attached Images Attached Images

8. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    Do a write-up on that home cab, I don't have a lot of confidence based purely on the price point, so I am curious if I am wrong.
    Yeah, I'm skeptical going in, but being a Walmart order should make it really easy to return if it's an unbearably poor effort. I don't know that I'd have the confidence that Gamestop or wherever less mass-market place would take it back, if they were the only places to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    I looked into the cabs. You assemble them yourself and they are only 4ft high so yeah... but they do look pretty neat as a novelty. Street Fighter would be the one I’d get. I’m sure the sticks are ass at that price though.
    I found the SF one far and away the least appealing, only 3 games that are all really a variation of the same one; CE and ST I kinda understand counting as independent of each other, but having Super and Super Turbo? Just redundant. Would be much more appealing if they threw in Darkstalkers or Saturday Night Slam Masters or something to diversify a bit. Plus it's easy-peasy to find a 6-button stick to replicate feel of the arcade controls on fighting games, anyway.

The other ones are a lot more interesting just by virtue of the controls they offer, imo. Centipede one has a trackball, the Tempest Asteroids one has a paddle dial, and the Rampage one has controls for 3 players. Good, low-cost controllers with those inputs are a lot less common, and custom-building a decent, good looking one is a chore and would probably end up costing a fair amount of money (and certainly much more time) compared to just taking the gamble on one of these, in the end. If the controls and display are passable, these could be the next best thing to actually buying the cabs on those games with more esoteric inputs.
    Last edited by Bacon McShig; 28 Jul 2018 at 12:58 PM.

9. From a kind young man I met at Game Craze:

10. Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    I looked into the cabs. You assemble them yourself and they are only 4ft high so yeah... but they do look pretty neat as a novelty. Street Fighter would be the one I’d get. I’m sure the sticks are ass at that price though.
    This kind of makes me want one more, knowing I can fit it more easily into a corner or through a door.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!