Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch, December 2018)

1. I don't know why I was so hyped to play Smash, I couldn't wait for it to finish downloading. I think I looked forward to this game more than any other this year. My excitement leveled out once I started playing it. It's more Smash Bros! I was disappointed that there wasn't side stuff like that challenge mode that Smash Bros used to have. And there's no straight up side scrolling Adventure mode, I really liked those even though my memories of it are probably from Melee.

I didn't really get what was interesting about World of Light from the Nintendo Direct and was hoping there was more modes for 1p content. World of Light is really addicting though. I tried my best to power through it but it seems endless. I feel like it's something I'll keep coming back to every now and then, like jumping into another Picross puzzle to kill some time. The loop of collecting spirits to overcome different challenges is solid. It's so simple but it does a lot to add depth to the game, and it doesn't feel like tedious chores to me. It reminds me of Soul Calibur 1's Adventure mode, which was super awesome.

At first it felt like a bummer that you have to unlock all of the characters but you unlock them so fast that it doesn't really matter. I guess it sucks if you mainly play as a certain character and you're trying to get them, or if you're trying to have a bunch of characters to play with a group of friends or something. I unlocked over 30 so far and there's a handful of characters that I got my butt handed to me (Simon Belmont). I'm not trippin.

Just like Mario Kart 8, the Switch was just made for this game. It's hella fun to play, there's so many options to setup games the way you and your homies like to play. And it's got so much friggin fan service, something for everyone. If there's any game that brings people together and playing Switch at rooftop parties, it's gonna be this one! I've been playing Smash Bros since the first one so I can understand not getting it, or maybe people don't see the depth or whatever. It won't be a fun game if you're playing by yourself and you also suck. But what's good is that anybody can play it and have fun with it. I love that inclusive nature about it. It's also just a funny game - the animations are funny and the stuff that happens is funny. But I guess you get out of it what you put into it.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Son of Bryce View Post
    It won't be a fun game if you're playing by yourself and you also suck.
    This is me most of the time, but I still love it.

3. This and Mario Kart 8 on Switch seem like definitive editions. In a perfect world Nintendo would take this as a jumping off point to relaunch the series like Breath of the Wild. That ain’t happening though.