Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Next Nvidia GeForce series is RTX 2080. Not GTX 1180.

1. Here's some Shadow running on the 2080. Very nice.

2. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Don't confuse core counts with performance. My old GTX 780 has 2300 Cuda cores, compared to my GTX 1080's 2560. They aren't even close to each other in compute power.

I'm using TFLOPs as my crude metric. We'll see how it plays out in terms of practical perfrmance, but right now it doesn't look like a huge leaps.

Early demos of ray-tracing are showing it to be an incredibly demanding feature that more or less means dropping down to 1080p and possibly dips well below 60fps, which may be an indicator that even with the major gains we might not quite be there yet, at least not for gaming.

3. Ray-tracing would look cool with untextured polygons. Hopefully we'll see some games use it for a retro CG look.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    I'm using TFLOPs as my crude metric. We'll see how it plays out in terms of practical perfrmance, but right now it doesn't look like a huge leaps.

Early demos of ray-tracing are showing it to be an incredibly demanding feature that more or less means dropping down to 1080p and possibly dips well below 60fps, which may be an indicator that even with the major gains we might not quite be there yet, at least not for gaming.
    Yeah, we’re talking about a difference of 3 Teraflops between the 1080Ti and the 2080Ti. It’s about 15% and I believe that is just for games without Ray Tracing. It would be a joke if a user had to drop down to 1080p to use Ray Tracing with a $1,200 card.

5. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Yeah, we’re talking about a difference of 3 Teraflops between the 1080Ti and the 2080Ti. It’s about 15% and I believe that is just for games without Ray Tracing. It would be a joke if a user had to drop down to 1080p to use Ray Tracing with a $1,200 card.
    The difference between the 2070 and the 1070 is smaller than the difference between the 1070Ti and 1070. So that's pretty underwhelming.

The difference for ray tracing is much more profound. I don't believe any of the older cards will be able to RTX stuff at a playable framerate.

6. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Ray-tracing would look cool with untextured polygons. Hopefully we'll see some games use it for a retro CG look.
    Something like Smash Hit would look fantastic if done like that. The refractions and reflections alone.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    The difference between the 2070 and the 1070 is smaller than the difference between the 1070Ti and 1070. So that's pretty underwhelming.

The difference for ray tracing is much more profound. I don't believe any of the older cards will be able to RTX stuff at a playable framerate.
    I wouldn’t even dare to try Ray Tracing with my 1080. It doesn’t have the hardware inside of the card to do it.

I was talking about general gaming performance without Ray Tracing, where the 2080Ti is somewhere between 15 to 19% better based on Teraflops. It would be a kick in the nuts if it’s general performance wasn’t a decent improvement over the previous generation.
    Last edited by gamevet; 22 Aug 2018 at 03:40 PM.

8. A writer over at TechRadar reports that he was playing games at 4K (without Ray Tracing) with the RTX 2080Ti in the demo area. He reported that he was hitting @100fps in some games.

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/nv...dsondisclaimer

We also played a variety of other PC games that shall not be named, and saw performance run in excess of 100 fps at 4K and Ultra settings. Unfortunately, we also don’t know how much power these GPUs had to draw to reach this level of performance.
    Last edited by gamevet; 23 Aug 2018 at 09:51 PM.

9. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    A writer over at TechRadar reports that he was playing games at 4K (without Ray Tracing) with the RTX 2080Ti in the demo area. He reported that he was hitting @100fps in some games.

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/nv...dsondisclaimer
    While this bodes reasonably well for the new cards at the high end of the performance range, it does seem to indicate that ray tracing is going to cost more performance than the move from 1080p to 4K, and I wonder how many people are going to choose that.

10. Id be ok with 1440p. Thats the native res of my monitor. 1080p just seems kinda stupid.