Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: When Do We Consider a Criminal's Debt Paid?

1. Related: We REALLY need to abolish the Lottery. All it does is siphon money from the poor, it's disgusting.

2. Lottery, Pay Day Loans, Rent a Center, etc.

3. It is expensive being poor.

4. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    It is expensive being poor.
    Dude fuckin' a.

Criminals go into a few buckets for me: People whose "debts" to society are lifelong, the ones who probably should spend some time inside, and criminals with no debt. My views are kind of extreme but:

- Rich white mfs who fucked up the economy, rapists, serial killers, terrorists, stuff like that have lifelong debts.
    - Regardless of background, if you kill someone/a few people, you should spend some time inside. Whether "inside" is a prison or public service or something, I dunno.
    - The majority of shit is like poor people doing what they have to in order to survive. Robbing stores, selling drugs, etc. I can't fault them because I'm so poor right now that I'm *this* close to breaking into some rich asshole's house and stealing some jewelry to pawn. It's just stuff. Yeah yeah, sentimental value/hard earned money.

As far as the molester goes, that shit does lifelong damage, man. If they hadn't caught him, he'd have fucked that 14 year-old girl and potentially screwed her up for life. I see no problem with his life & career suffering as a result of that. He didn't make a mistake. That wasn't a lapse in judgment. Now, that said - if he's out there using what resources he has to help educate preteens and such, making amends, and demonstrating that he's learned? Shit, good on him.

5. Property loss is not even the shittiest thing about having your place burglarized.

6. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Property loss is not even the shittiest thing about having your place burglarized.
    That's got to be the loss of your peace of mind. How do you replace that? Not easily.

Murderers, armed robbers, rapists, & kidnappers should get life sentences without parole. These should serve as a deterrent rather than a means of revenge. Also, knowing that the perp is once again on the streets can wreck a victim's peace of mind. IMO, Elizabeth Smart's kidnapper Wanda Barzee shouldn't have been released. Not now, or even in 2024 when her sentence was set to end. She should've been locked up for life.

More than a few non-violent offenses that get jail or prison time don't really deserve it.

7. It makes no sense to send people to prison and expect them to be more functional and well-adjusted when they come out, that's for sure.

8. Jail is time-out for grown ups. Prison is pulling years out of somebody's life. I figure if somebody's been through prison and cleaned up their act, ain't nothing left to say about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

9. Quote Originally Posted by cigsthecat View Post
    Related: We REALLY need to abolish the Lottery. All it does is siphon money from the poor, it's disgusting.
    You'd just be creating a bigger black market. No revenue to government and more power for the mob.

10. Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall View Post
    It because our penal system isn't based on reform - it's about vengeance.
    This is probably the simplest & best answer.

The penal system is shit here in the U.S. and it's even more terrible for people wrongfully convicted.

Speaking out burglary. Years ago my place was broken into and a lot of my shit was stolen when I came back from work. Suffice to say it's just stuff but the invasion of my privacy was harder to deal with then the loss of anything I owned. Happy end to that tho is the fuckers who did it were beyond dumb. They tried to pawn off all my shit at a Pawn Shop near me where one of my best friends worked at.

Suffice to say I get a call from him the next day.

<Friend>Hey dude, you said your place was broken into?
    <Me>Yeah why what's up?
    <Friend>Head on up to the shop. All your shit is here.
    <Me>The fuck seriously?

I hang up and head on over and when I'm there the police are there and two dudes I never saw before are sitting outside handcuffed sitting on the ground. Suffice to say it took an amazing amount of control to not say anything other then to look at the both of them and just go into the shop.

I walked in and sure enough everything they took was sitting on the table.

<Friend>When I saw these guys come in, Something didn't seem right when the stuff I saw looked a lot like yours so we stalled them & called the police.
    <Me>I owe you one bro. I brought all my serial numbers in case you need to match up anything I own.
    <Friend>No dude I know what your shit looks like.

After that I had a friend who came with me & helped me gather up my shit and took it all home. The only sad thing was my original copy of Chrono Trigger for the SNES I bought on release day was cart only since they ripped up the box when they were in a hurry to run off with my shit.
    Last edited by BonusKun; 21 Sep 2018 at 08:05 AM.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL