Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: When Do We Consider a Criminal's Debt Paid?

1. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I don't believe people who are just going about their lives minding their own business should be placed at risk for the sake of giving some psychopath a second chance, so there's definitely a place for incarceration, but it doesn't make sense to use the same approach for drug mules as they do for cannibal serial killers.
    The approach should mainly be the same. That's the whole point of the blindfold on lady justice. The sentence and outcome is what scales.

Like it or not the only real way to resolve a cannibal serial killer is not debasing yourself like them when you have the power.

2. Quote Originally Posted by cigsthecat View Post
    Better do nothing instead.
    *exasperated sigh*

No, prioritize. Shut down and blunt the spread of things like gambling, high-interest loans/rentals, and high ticketing charges for minor infractions that can and do throw the poor into deep, inescapable debt spirals that benefit no one. Then target the thing that takes maybe a buck or two from them here and there when they visit the gas station and redistributes it to a useful public service that actually really needs money.
    Last edited by Bacon McShig; 22 Sep 2018 at 10:31 AM.

3. They should use prostitution taxes instead.

4. "This is a lesser evil" sure sounds a lot like "this is a great system" to y'all, dunnit?

Lottery allocations baked into school funding is not ideal! But like I said earlier, rip away that leg of support and you have to make up the difference somehow, and convincing people to take the hit on their taxes that probably means is gonna be a hard sell. In the end, most likely outcome is that those most able to fund it will weasel out of it and that tax burden will fall on the same poor/lower middle class segment that's contributing to the lottery; You've just traded a voluntary funding source for an involuntary one.

Again, yes, bad system that collects largely from many people ill-equipped to contribute, but it doesn't bury people like the other systems I mentioned. It's more pragmatic and beneficial to target the money sinks that put the poor in a giant inescapable hole with one misstep, than it is to immediately go to saving them from small expenditures that might add up, but aren't exactly destroying their life in the short term with anywhere near the same immediacy or crushing burden. By all means, try to save them from that at some point, but again, priorities. You got someone about to be hit by a truck and someone getting a bunch of papercuts, probably tackle that truck one first.

5. I'm not sure if the snark was directed at me, but my reason for sharing that link was to show "but it goes towards the schools!" arjuement is a mostly BS, not to say shutting down the lottery should be job one.

Yet while everyone bickers about what should be tackled first, nothing gets done and greedy fucks are allowed to continue to prey upon the poor. Democrats want to put their money where their mouth is, they should put forth lending law bills that cap the amount of interest these places can charge, and make it mandatory for places like Rent a Center to tell people up front how much they're going to pay for the item at the end of the buying term.

6. Here's the thing. It is not once in a while. It is every day and often more than once per day. None of these people can afford to have their money stolen by the state.

The lottery crew are the elderly, the mentally ill, the poor, the addicts and the weak.

7. Any small amount of money they win goes straight back into more lottery tickets.

Lottery money in my province goes into health care and education funding (or so they say). It sucks that some people get addicted but I think it's a fairly good form of taxation since it's optional as opposed to sales tax. My family was low income but I was taught playing the lottery was throwing your money away as the odds of winning are so low.

9. What about the people that are never taught that, and have degenerate parents incapable of offering advice?