Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: When Do We Consider a Criminal's Debt Paid?

1. Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    The only sad thing was my original copy of Chrono Trigger for the SNES I bought on release day was cart only since they ripped up the box when they were in a hurry to run off with my shit.
    Wish I'd known before I sold my copy. I had all the shit, even those adverts for magazines or whatever on the heavier stock and that plastic sleeve they wrapped the games in after they started skimping on the hard plastic cap thing.

Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall View Post
    It because our penal system isn't based on reform - it's about vengeance.
    Vengeance is just the product. It's really based on return customers in the form of filled for profit jails.

3. If you approach justice in terms of karmic balance or repayment of debt, nothing will ever be good enough because that's not the way it works. Justice is ultimately more about deterrent and rehabilitation. Retribution is just some primal evolutionary shit that doesn't actually hold water philosophically or pragmatically.

I know it isn't rape, but being burgled feels a little like it. You feel violated. Betrayed. And an intense rage.

I'm really not surprised so many states have stand your ground laws. Because if you have someone violating your space and taking your shit, it's pretty easy to lose your mind and end someone.

It's hard to describe if you've never been there. An all consuming fire. Every oz of thought and being is anger. All consuming malice. Like a force of nature.

5. Maybe the church was right. Just let the perpetrator make it right with God and get a pardon from God's representative, so now the population has to defer their morals to the leaders.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

6. I don't believe people who are just going about their lives minding their own business should be placed at risk for the sake of giving some psychopath a second chance, so there's definitely a place for incarceration, but it doesn't make sense to use the same approach for drug mules as they do for cannibal serial killers.

7. Quote Originally Posted by cigsthecat View Post
    Related: We REALLY need to abolish the Lottery. All it does is siphon money from the poor, it's disgusting.
    In theory I agree, but lottery money is practically the only thing propping up school funding in a lot of states. That money goes away, they propose to tax significantly more for it, people will vote that down, states take a big(ger) hatchet to their already-struggling education systems. I mean, the ever-inflating rich could and should make up that difference, but spoiler alert they ain't gonna.

Besides, it's entirely possible to be poor and not play the lottery. It's a completely voluntary tax on the stupid moreso than the poor, and there's a certain poetic justice about schools staying afloat on money siphoned from the stupid.

8. I don't think they're stupid. I think they're in need of help, not further harm.

9. Throwing money you don't have at ridiculous longshot odds is stupid, no two ways about it. I'm not saying they're not victims of the system to some degree, but they're willing victims.

Plus when you have video slot machines and out-and-out gambling legalization expanding, which take advantage of the same people for the benefit of no one but the operators, going after lotteries that actually have tangible social benefits seems like it shouldn't be the most immediate evil genie to tamp back into the bottle.

10. Better do nothing instead.