Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: When Do We Consider a Criminal's Debt Paid?

1. It's not a good form of taxation as it hits one segment of the population rather than the whole.
    At least a sales tax hits everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by cigsthecat View Post
    What about the people that are never taught that, and have degenerate parents incapable of offering advice?
    I think the biggest gambling addicts would probably resort to some sort of privatized gambling if government options aren't available. But I don't know there has been research to say either way.

I think sales tax is bad because poor people on average end up paying a higher percentage on their income with it. In Canada there are some sales tax rebates to fight that but you have to be pretty low income to get them and they don't come close to covering what would be spent. What sucks is that even if you have the sense to not gamble, there's no escaping sales tax here; they even charge it on second hand items.

3. Shouldn't state run programs treat their citizens slightly better than mob gambling rooms?

4. Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    I think the biggest gambling addicts would probably resort to some sort of privatized gambling if government options aren't available. But I don't know there has been research to say either way.

I think sales tax is bad because poor people on average end up paying a higher percentage on their income with it. In Canada there are some sales tax rebates to fight that but you have to be pretty low income to get them and they don't come close to covering what would be spent. What sucks is that even if you have the sense to not gamble, there's no escaping sales tax here; they even charge it on second hand items.
    Yes, sales taxes are bad but lottery programs are far worse poor taxes. With sales taxes at least the rich pay some of them, though still not proportionally enough. With lotteries only those with lower incomes buy them.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

5. I thought it was a great sign when the Obama adminstration started the process of ending the contracts for the privatized prisons. They're just money sinks that do society no good. Then, the Trump administration comes in and stopped that. I thought it was really weird at the time but it's now pretty obvious why: they needed somewhere to hold the illegal immigrants and asylum seekers. Our legal and prison system is so far into for-profit that I don't think it's possible to stop now. It'll take so much drastic policy change that is stuffed full of lobbyists who activiely push to make it worse, not better.

Mandatory minimum senetences are out of control. Legal fees are pushed to (for profit) third party companies that make up their own fees that make it even harder to get out of trouble. There are a lot of people who go to jail because they end up being buried in debt for a traffic ticket! You don't go to jail because of what you did (which in many cases falls well below what I'm sure all of us would call criminal) you go in because you don't make enough money! Have you seen how much money they charge people to call relatives from jail (or in jail)? It's insane. Further cutting off people from their families for no reason other than money doesn't help in any way.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Rumpy
    There are a lot of people who go to jail because they end up being buried in debt for a traffic ticket!
    That really makes no sense at all. Why can't the MFIC just hit the court for a wage garnishment instead? Traffic ticket debtors don't belong in the same hellhole as murderers. Neither do child support & tax debtors. Any kind of debt should be considered a tort, not a crime.

States with sales & use taxes should just ditch them. That system is so sadly out of date. Surely they can get that money by raising their personal/corporate income tax a bit.

7. I buy a scratch off every now and then.
    Boo, Hiss.

I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpy View Post
    I thought it was a great sign when the Obama adminstration started the process of ending the contracts for the privatized prisons. They're just money sinks that do society no good. Then, the Trump administration comes in and stopped that. I thought it was really weird at the time but it's now pretty obvious why: they needed somewhere to hold the illegal immigrants and asylum seekers. Our legal and prison system is so far into for-profit that I don't think it's possible to stop now. It'll take so much drastic policy change that is stuffed full of lobbyists who activiely push to make it worse, not better.

Mandatory minimum senetences are out of control. Legal fees are pushed to (for profit) third party companies that make up their own fees that make it even harder to get out of trouble. There are a lot of people who go to jail because they end up being buried in debt for a traffic ticket! You don't go to jail because of what you did (which in many cases falls well below what I'm sure all of us would call criminal) you go in because you don't make enough money! Have you seen how much money they charge people to call relatives from jail (or in jail)? It's insane. Further cutting off people from their families for no reason other than money doesn't help in any way.
    100% this. And that private industries can profit from prison labor is galling and a human rights violation by nearly any measure.

It seems like a lot of right wing voters are also unaware of their existence, and would be opposed to them. It is absolutely something that should be a campaign platform issue (and is the only way theyll ever end).

Oh, southern voters are aware. Something something racism something slavery.