Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Telltale games lays off development staff, all future and current projects cancelled.

1. Telltale games lays off development staff, all future and current projects cancelled.

Telltale games has laid off all but a skeleton crew of developers devoted to completing their Netflix version of Minecraft Story Mode. The remaining two episodes of Walking Dead, and the upcoming Wolf Among Us, Stranger Things, and Game of Thrones projects have all been canned.

Today Telltale Games made the difficult decision to begin a majority studio closure following a year marked by insurmountable challenges. A majority of the company’s employees were dismissed earlier this morning, with a small group of 25 employees staying on to fulfill the company’s obligations to its board and partners. CEO Pete Hawley issued the following statement:

“It's been an incredibly difficult year for Telltale as we worked to set the company on a new course. Unfortunately, we ran out of time trying to get there. We released some of our best content this year and received a tremendous amount of positive feedback, but ultimately, that did not translate to sales. With a heavy heart, we watch our friends leave today to spread our brand of storytelling across the games industry.”

Telltale will issue further comments regarding its product portfolio in the coming weeks.

It's been no secret that the company has been in trouble, but this is shockingly abrupt, especially the failure to deliver Walking Dead in full, a huge betrayal to fans that already paid for the season. Surely there could have been a better way to ramp down than this...

2. I always assumed that the reason they make the EXACT SAME GAME with a different stoy every time was because it was making them money. They've relased like, no joke, 100 chapters of different games since 2010, how were they so in the hole? If this shit wasn't working why didn't they make a different type of game ever?

3. I'm glad Video Games Rodkin got out of there.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    I always assumed that the reason they make the EXACT SAME GAME with a different stoy every time was because it was making them money. They've relased like, no joke, 100 chapters of different games since 2010, how were they so in the hole? If this shit wasn't working why didn't they make a different type of game ever?
    Apparently almost none of them made money. Like basically just TWD Season 1 and Minecraft. I think their development costs were unreasonably high for the kind of products they were putting out, probably because their tech was terrible and took a lot of work to do thinks that other studios can do much cheaper.

Telltale had more than twice the number of people as Quantic Dream, for example, and they may have put out more games than QD but that's still pretty staggering when you consider the differential in scope and production value.

5. You know what they say, if at first you don't succeed try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try again!
    Last edited by Opaque; 21 Sep 2018 at 09:29 PM.

6. I got their Borderland tales games for $4, used, so I didn't help.

7. I really liked their formula, especially their putting decisions on a timer. I tend to labor over choices in games and their mechanics relieved me of that. I wish Persona threatened to pick an option for me if I didn't respond in time, too.

I wouldn't have guessed budgets were an issue. It seemed like these things were rolling off a conveyor belt Kemco-style.

8. Sad for the people who lost their jobs, and dropping a series 2 episodes from the end sucks, but the only Telltale games I ever played were Puzzle Agent. I'd have loved a third one, but it's been pretty obvious that's never going to happen for years now. I really did think Telltale was doing better than this, though, even with word earlier this year of financial troubles.

9. I hate sounding cold but I only never cared for this company. Sad they lost their jobs but I'm sure they'll find work easy enough.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

10. I didn't realize there was a Stranger Things experience planned, that makes me sad to hear as I've enjoyed a majority of the games these guys produced and that could have been great. I think the Back to the Future series and Minecraft are two of the only ones I never tried, and several times I got an episode or even a season for free from the various platforms, but I certainly paid for many of them and I wish others had as well if it could have kept them going. I would have loved a follow up to Wolf Among Us, that was one of my favorites. Sad to see them close down.