Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oculus Quest (all-in-one headset) detailed, Spring, $399

1. Oculus Quest (all-in-one headset) detailed, Spring, $399

https://www.oculus.com/blog/introduc...g-spring-2019/

We’re excited to usher in the next era of VR gaming with the introduction of Oculus Quest, our first all-in-one VR gaming system. Oculus Quest will launch in Spring 2019 for $399 USD. Offering six degrees of freedom and Touch controllers, Oculus Quest makes it easy to jump right into the action—with no PC, no wires, and no external sensors. We have over 50 titles lined up for launch, with even more in the works including some of your favorite Rift games like Robo Recall, The Climb, and Moss.

Specs sound good, price sounds good, and the mentioned launch games including stuff like Robo Recall and Moss is a good sign for the ballpark of how capable it'll be (or so I hope). I'm interested. HTC's Vive Focus and that Lenovo Daydream headset are cool but they kinda look half-baked compared to this?

2. what exactly is six degrees of freedom?
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

3. 3DOF is basically rotation-only, 6DOF involves positional translation (so you can lean around things, walk around your room, move your hands around instead of just Wiimote-style aiming them, etc).

The existing "portable" VR headsets (Oculus Go, Samsung GearVR, Google Daydream etc) have mostly been three degrees of freedom both in terms of head and hand controllers.

4. I have the Mirage Solo, which has 6dof headset and a 3dof controller.
    6dof is definitely a must have for any sort of gaming.

5. I'll buy this new Oculus. This is it.

6. also

DO YOU COME WITH THE CAR huh huh huh huh

7. Interested but not $400 interested. Oculus said this completes the first generation of VR, so call me for the 2nd gen and I'll be there. In the meantime I'll keep on with the Rift I've got.

8. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    what exactly is six degrees of freedom?
    3DOF is rotational tracking only, which is what most mobile VR headsets use, and it basically means you have to sit pefectly in place or the illusion is broken. It's "fake VR" pretty much.

6DOF means it tracks your position so that the headset can account for your head/body movement and maintain the full illusion of space.

VR doesn't really work without 6DOF, at least not in the sense of being able to delver any sustained feeling of presence, so full 1:1 head and hand tracking alone is enough to distinguish this from all the other mobile/self contained solutions out there.

9. There's a developer option in Google Daydream that let's you force all apps to use 6DOF, if the headset supports WorldSense. Some of them work fine, but it just lets you move the camera to anywhere in the VR space.
    It's pretty important to have it in the headset, but having 6DOF in the controllers is just as important if you want to play anything beyond mobile VR. The controller for the Mirage Solo is pretty much just a pointer, with no positional tracking of any kind, and there's just one.

This thing looks like it would be fine for gaming as long as you don't mind last gen graphics, which I honestly don't.

10. Yeah, there's a big difference between allowing some limited 6DOF movement for comfort and actual room scale gaming, too. They seem pretty committed to the idea that you're going to be moving around in this thing. I wonder how Guardian will work.

They did some demos of "arena scale" environments too, including a giant Dead and Buried shootout stage. Stuff like that seems potentially really cool for location-based VR like The Void.